SaabCentral Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Decided to get ambitious and do some of the head work before I take it in. Pulled the lifters tonight and cleaned them. I hope to pull the valves tomorrow. How much heat does it take to break those bolts in the cap that covers the distributor plug? I don’t know that I’ve taken a torch to aluminum before and I don’t want to over do it. Anything to know about that?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Was told these have locktite on them and require heat. I can confirm they didn’t want to let go on their own!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Definitely heat, there's some seriously upgraded loctite on those. I usually use sharp vise grips on the sides of fasteners like that to get some significant leverage. FWIW, it doesn't have to come off as there's nothing to service under there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The cap isn't meant to be removed, apparently because it's machined to size together with the bottom half and not interchangeable with a replacement part.
On earlier versions of the engine, the distributor was held in position with and in line with the camshaft which powered the distributor.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Yes, do not remove that cap. There is zero reason to do that ever. It stays put. In 30 years and 100 Saabs, I've never removed one once.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I removed mine to install a machined plug. It was very straightforward, but I'm quite used to working with red loctite.

Unless you are doing what I did, there is no reason to disturb that piece.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks guys, you are a wealth of info! I left it on. I wasn't sure if the machine shop would want it off. Head is at the machine shop to test, mill and take out manifold screws, (1 broken) Valves are out. I'll get em cleaned up and ready to lap. My first time doing this! Thank goodness I'm not under the gun to get this done. Might be a few weeks though, as I'm heading south for a bit next week. More later.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I removed mine to install a machined plug. It was very straightforward, but I'm quite used to working with red loctite.

Unless you are doing what I did, there is no reason to disturb that piece.
Boxer: Just for curiosity... how much heat did you need to break those free?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Boxer: Just for curiosity... how much heat did you need to break those free?
Quite frankly, not very much...a quick blast from my MAPP gas torch (which, surprisingly, has a fifteen year old tank of the old school MAPP gas). There is not a whole lot of mass that needs to be heated.

A quality tool and a nice "square" approach is just as important.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
With the covid lockdown, no trip south for me. Hope your all doing ok! It’s a bit odd how quiet it is around my city.

I got the head back a few days ago and have been picking away at it. I think the shop said the low spot in the middle was maybe 7/1000’s. I cleaned and lapped the valves, disassembled and cleaned the lifters. It’s all back together, and assuming the predicted warm weather shows up here in Friday I’m gonna drop it back in. I noticed in cleaning the block it looked like the was some red permatex sealant on there. I was NOT planning to use any on the HG. Just want to be sure that’s correct?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
That's correct, no sealant. I don't think it would do anything anyway... what is going to withstand the heat and pressure in a cylinder? Use Loctite 518 on the front cover.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Today was the day. Got it all put back together. So does that first start up always feel like that? Started right up but Good Lord I was thinking it would blow up! Clicking lifters and smoke burning off the block and turbo where it had spewed out when the HG blew. She settled out in about 15 mins, quieted right down and runs nice. I’ll do some comp tests on it soon.
Thanks for the encouragement and to Boxer, who sent me his notes. A big help! Good for another 225k!

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Yeah, that first start it always a little nerve wracking. It's not a bad idea to disconnect the crank sensor and leave the spark plugs out and let the starter spin it for a little bit to build up oil pressure. Cuts down on the initial clattering quite a bit.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts