SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I first of all just wanted to say thanks to all that provided advice on where I should start with all of this.
So I've got a full tune-up and fluid replacment planned, new filters, (air fuel oil), plugs, oil, transmission..I'm going to give my 95 its dignity back if it kills me.
Would anyone recommend a good automatic transmission fuid, and should I think about running fuel injector cleaner through it?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
waid said:
Would anyone recommend a good automatic transmission fuid, and should I think about running fuel injector cleaner through it?
The original fill was Texaco Havoline Dexron III, and it's just fine. Get 12 litres (quarts, for USA) and do a triple change as described in many posts.

Periodic application of Chevron Techron concentrate seems to be recommended. I run a bottle through every time I go the U.S. since it's not available in Canada.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
waid said:
Nope :nono;

Dont put injector cleaner in the gearbox :eek:

Actually, adding Lubegard Red to the ATF really helps ;)

G

·
I tried to find the Texaco Havoline in my area but it was not available anywhere. I bought some Castrol Domestic Multi-vehicle ATF (meets Dexron III) at Wallyworld for $2.96 a quart.

I did the triple change as well. The first stuff that came out was nasty black (probably never changed for the first 80k miles) but now it has that nice red color again. 12 x $3 = $36 for the total change and it is very easy to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feed back, Hopefully all turns out well, I didn't meen that I would put fuel injection cleaner in the transmission...lol...would it be a good idea to run injector cleaner with the fuel? can anyone point me to an image of the cars underbody that would help me with the transmissions drain plug? I am in lack of a service manual.....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonderful, So I got the transmission drained those pictures helped, not entirely sure I removed the right part, but it drained regardless. I had checked the levels before draining it and it looked ok, but only about 2 quarts drained the first time, must have been low. Its good now, a nice red, shifts a lot smoother, a little sticky when cold or going up hill. The gear box light still comes and goes.

Got the oil changed to, had to find a new drain plug, it was completely stripped, the engine noise has gotten a lot better to. I found a couple leaks:cry: 1 at the turbo, and 1 at the oil pan seal. we'll see where that goes.

Couldn't find the right air filter anywhere, the guy at Checker told me I had to special order it, I think not. Got an SID repair kit coming to, it’ll be nice to see what the car has to say, mines only got a few pixels left.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Did you just change the fluid once? Drive a bit, change again, drive, change again - that way you use the whole 12 quarts (you DID buy a whole case?) and all the fluid is changed. Follow the manual exactly for checking the level - if the level is low or high, the trans will not work properly.

Good job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I did buy a case of fluid, I drained it, filled it, drove it, drained again, refilled, repeated. I'm gona drive on the fluid for a couple days to get it worked through properly and then drain and fill it one more time. The dipsticks drive me batty, the engine oil dipstick is black so it hard to tell the oil level and the transmissions does not leave a clear indication of the level. I think I may try replacing them at some point if I can find a suitable match.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
me neither...

waid said:
Couldn't find the right air filter anywhere, the guy at Checker told me I had to special order it, I think not.
I've never been able to find one in an auto parts store (napa, advance auto or autozone).

Apparently this redesigned OEM one is as good as the drop-in performance filters that are available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, and the filter is actually cheaper than what the parts store wanted me to pay to have one ordered. Found a lot of other things on that site I also need.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Another great site for parts is eeuroparts.com - plus they ship free in US if you order $40 worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts