SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the gear box light is on in my '95 saab 900 convert and it won't move. I thought this was weird because it is an automatic, but then again, I know nothing of these cars. is it the transmission? i wanted some good advice before i take it to a mechanic because when they see saab, they see$$$$$. what should I do?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You really do need a good honest mechanic (most are) - and this is true for any ten year old vehicle from Austin to Zil(Russian, 50s).. Without the man you can trust, well.......
Is there any ATF in the transmission ??
The Aisin-Warner is, IMO, an excellent unit.
Did any other lights glow ?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It could be a real transmission problem, or low fluid, just as earthworm said, but there is another known issue with the NG900 automatic transmissions.

The most common cause is the "Safety Neutral Switch", or "Gear selector switch". The words "Gear Box" are misleading for most in the US, this warning appears on cars with automatic transmission. The transmission is supposed to work in 3rd gear even when this happens.

Apparently, grease gets into the switch and fouls the contacts. It is really a design issue, not wear or a malfunction. Some people manage to make the switch work by moving the gear selector lever between Park and 1st a couple dozen times. If not, it has to be replaced.

pasting from eEuroparts.com:
Part Code: 5173455
Part Name: Neutral Position Switch (range switch)
Part Brand: Genuine Saab
Part Cost: $296.80
Part Description:
(4490884) Neutral position switch (range switch) for any 94-95 900, any engine. Genuine Saab.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
earthworm said:
You really do need a good honest mechanic (most are) - and this is true for any ten year old vehicle from Austin to Zil(Russian, 50s).. Without the man you can trust, well.......
Is there any ATF in the transmission ??
The Aisin-Warner is, IMO, an excellent unit.
Did any other lights glow ?

you really have to speak english to me, i am an infant when it comes to these cars....ATF? Aisin Warner? and no, no other lights were glowing.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
ATF = Automatic transmission fluid

The fluid in the auto box ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris 9-5 said:
ATF = Automatic transmission fluid

The fluid in the auto box ;)
Yeah duh i put 2n2 2gether right after I typed it in. question? can overfilling the fluid harm the transmission? b/c that was a step that i forgot to mention. oops?;oops: also if anyone can answer...i think that there might be a computer problem. the a/c comes on right when i start the car then it cuts out by itself. anyone? i wanted to do this step by step just because i have no idea what i am doing. when i bought the car I bought it because of it's aesthetic appeal with out even thinking about what it would take to maintain it. i actually rescued it from a shady dealership but it has done nothing but cause me problems ever since. i LOVE the car but it is beginning to cost more than its worth.:cry: so if there is any advice, it WILL BE MUCH appreciated! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts