SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 9-3 automatic which I love despite all the issues it's given me over the past few years. The car has 73,000 miles on her and just last week as I was driving on the interstate at speeds exceeding 70 mph the check engine light turned on and I recieved the "gearbox malfunction" message. As I exitted the interstate and decreased speeds I noticed I wasn't down-shifting from 5th gear. When I changed to manual shifting I could see the transmission wasn't recognizing 1, 3, or 4 gears. I drove it straight to a shop where the diagnostic showed the speed sensor output code. They proceeded to clear the codes for me and I took the car to an aamco whom I trust only a tiny bit more than a small mom & pop mechanic. As I began driving I noticed the car was driving fine. The mechanic at Aamco road tested the car and said he could do nothing since he couldn't simulate the problem. I proceeded to drive to my dealership (an hour away) on the interstate again and the lights and codes went off again when I hit 70 mph. My dealer has now come back with a qoute for $3350 for a new transmission. If I need a new transmission why is the car driving fine at lower speeds with the codes cleared?

Could this just be an electrical malfunction and not the transmission? In these times you never know who's trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Can someone please help. I'm having the car towed out of the dealership today but I don't know my next step at this point....oh, and Saab refuses to provide me with any assistance, SHOCKER!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was unaware of an O-Ring recall!!! I bought the car used in 2006 so it may or may not have been done. I'll be sure to ask my dealer that though when I get there this afternoon. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The O ring issue was a TSB/Service Campaign, not a recall. Have a Dealer run the VIN, if the O rings were replaced it will show up. If your out of warranty your out of luck. I just had that message and Limp home with a couple of miles left on the warranty... a local Dealer took it overnight, could not find a problem, it's been fine since.

Sounds like it could be a just Sensor Issue.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
As Jon says above, I'd check to see if the service campaign was done on the quick couplings for the transmission cooler.

It should be obvious if the transmission is suffering from coolant contamination if the inspection plate is removed and the fluid checked. Milky ATF suggests coolant contamination.

It could just be a sensor issue, but it's also bearing in mind that one of the symptoms of long term coolant contamination is the failure of the speed sensors (the reluctor rings start to corrode), so I would be suspicious if anyone suggests these need changing, yours being a 2003.

There has also been the very occasional report of wiring failures/earth (ground) strap faults which could also cause the transmission to go into limp home mode.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
^^ The way it was explained to me is that a Pink Petroleum jelly type buildup is found when you remove the plate and you could not tell by visually Inspecting the fluid.....a second way I've read was to let a sample sit overnight and see if it separates (unconfirmed)

I believe the "milky fluid" was a mis-speak by someone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.