SaabCentral Forums banner

Help with thermostat?

2K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  TROLLhattenschatten 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
what are the steps to changing the thermostat in the 2.0T engine?

Pics?

#5 ·
TROLLhattenschatten said:
Looking at the pages more i realized -
do i need a thermostat with a ball-bearing valve?
Yes you do. Otherwise you have to take a drill to it. I bought mine at eeuroparts. If you're doing the heater hoses at the same time be ready for a major PITA. The newer style hose that connects to the transmission side of the head was a really tight fit. I had to stretch mine out before I could get it to go over the port. Be ready for broken heads on the clamps as well. Not fun! Have new clamps ready and dust off your Dremel.

#7 ·
I'd say the "ball bearing" valve is better; but that a little (tenth of a mm) hole, facing up, is sufficient.. No matter, these T-stats take a beating, should be renewed every so often..

#10 · (Edited)
I just replaced mine this weekend. Mattias' website listed above was a great help. A couple of points from my experience:

1. I was not able to get a thermostat with the relief valve, but if you looked really closely at the mechanism on the one I did get, there is already a tiny weep hole created by a small v-notch in the metal disc that is opened and closed. Regardless, this is the easiest car I've ever had to replace the coolant in. There was very little air that built up during the refill. The thermostat I took out had, IMHO, a ridiculously large hole drilled in it... probably 3/16". My car heats up much more quickly now... this is important with the Minnesota winter approaching.

2. I used the elusive radiator drain valve. For those trying to find it, it is directly below the upper radiator hose, near the bottom of the radiator. It looks like a black plastic hose connector with a 13mm hex at the base of it. It points towards the rear of the car. It is plastic, so use gentle pressure when opening, and if it seems seized, you are probably best off using a different method to drain your coolant, but in my case it opened easily. I placed a foot long piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe over the end of it and angled it towards my drain pan. Draining the radiator this way, I probably spilled less than an ounce of coolant. Aside from being a plastic valve, it is an elegant system.

3. My car, purchased this summer, had standard green coolant in it. I didn't have the extra time for a full flush, so I simply put what I had drained out back in. I am going to do the full flush this spring and replace it with a more appropriate fluid. Anyone think waiting a few more months will cause a problem? The current fluid looked to be in good condition. Edit: after reading some other posts, maybe it is supposed to have green coolant. Guess I need to RTFM.

#13 ·
Good advice Frog!
I second that, very well written.
The wise and knowledgible take the trouble to examine things - a 3/16" would be far too large..
Ever change a thermostat on a Saab 93 ?
The green one for the black ??
Those were the days:cheesy:

#15 ·
Hey guys i just bought a Thermostat (90*C)

Only problem is it don't have a gasket on it (?)

Are they suppost to?

EDIT: Yeah...i don't know if this is right.
i am thinking i make my own with RTV sealant?

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/stn/13399.jpg?SSImageQuality=Full
Yup, you'll need the gasket. Link
Or you can get the kit like I did. Link
I'm worried about this 90* one you purchased. Where did you get it and why didn't they ask you if you needed the gasket? If I were you I wouldn't make one out of RTV. It'll be hell trying to get that outa there next time you need to do this job.

Edit: Duh! You got it at PartsAmerica. My bad. ;oops:

#19 ·
Ok guys time to work :cheesy:

I really need to know how to drain the coolant.

No stupid drain-plug
there is a bar blocking the bottom hose
i don't own a siphon
I opened up the bottom radiator hose on the passenger side of the engine bay. Be ready for a huge mess! I used kitty litter after the job was done then swept it all up and hosed the area down thoroughly with water.

#21 ·
Thanks to everybody!

I ran into a few snags -

1) as i stated before the parts store was lagging :nono;

2) i am not lucky enough to meet the mystical drain plug :roll:

3) the thermostat wouldn't seat right when i first put it together - i wasted a gallon of coolant and i had to take it apart and do it over.

Oh well, it was my first time on this car :cheesy:
Next - the idler pulley...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.