SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went scrounging around at a local wrecking yard and came back with a few nice items... One of them a pair of vent covers! Also a center for my steering wheel and a little DIN slot cubby holder.

Now to the question... I came a across a 3 door that had all the glass tinted. How do I remove the rear pop-out windows. I can find the 3 torx screws that mount the latch to the body. Im goin back tomorrow to yank them, is there any other mounting points? Or does anyone have any tips for removing them?

Thanks! Andrew

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Or, simply break the rivets by pushing the window upward very fast. Once the trim covering the rivets is removed you can literally "tear"the window off.

·
Registered
491 Posts
or take a cordless drill with a (1/8?) inch bit. There are 3 rivets, then 2 brackets with some torx thingys, and the ones on the inside of course. I took mine off to tent them myself, that was a nightmare...endend up rolling the film back up and returning it. The "ultra highest quality" stuff was alreay scratched and wrinkled...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grif900 said:
Or, simply break the rivets by pushing the window upward very fast. Once the trim covering the rivets is removed you can literally "tear"the window off.
Alright... I was hoping I could just undo the torx on the latch and just pull the whole thing out w/o having to fool with the rivets. Pushing the window up 'very fast' scares me a bit. No worries, Ill see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the info all!

nnamssorxela said:
I took mine off to tent them myself, that was a nightmare...endend up rolling the film back up and returning it. The "ultra highest quality" stuff was alreay scratched and wrinkled....
Haha. No way Im doing it myself. This is the most cost effective way of getting tinted glass right now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah, I got really frusterated realllyy quick. if the window didnt have that black frame (or if you could take off the open-er lever, it would have been a piece od cake.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I suppose if you want to be a big sissy about it :cheesy: you could drill the rivets out, wich is the shure-fire way to do it , but you really can just tear the thing off without breaking the glass. I do it all the time.:cool:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nnamssorxela said:
yeah, I got really frusterated realllyy quick. if the window didnt have that black frame (or if you could take off the open-er lever, it would have been a piece od cake.
I have a friend who does tint on the side... He says paitence is key. I guess that is why people will pay big money for it done right.

How did you re-mount the trim peice? Can you screw it back, or does it need to be riveted?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nnamssorxela said:
I suppose you could screw it in, but rivets would look original.
Well does the window still stay in without the trim peice? I cant picture whats under there. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
It's held in with a few puny rivets. That's why they are so easy to remove once the latch and the exterior trim is removed. With the trim and latch in place its nearly impossible to remove the glass without breaking it. But, if you have a key ,and can get the door open, you are only a few torx bolts and a few rivets away fom removing the window. The trim simply protects the "Achilies heel "of the rear window from would-be thieves when the car is locked.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grif900 said:
It's held in with a few puny rivets. That's why they are so easy to remove once the latch and the exterior trim is removed. With the trim and latch in place its nearly impossible to remove the glass without breaking it. But, if you have a key ,and can get the door open, you are only a few torx bolts and a few rivets away fom removing the window. The trim simply protects the "Achilies heel "of the rear window from would-be thieves when the car is locked.
Awesome-o!

nnamssorxela said:
here's some crappy night shots with a flash light .
Bad ***! Thanks man, its all clear now. Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
no problemo! you can see the 3 rivet holes. And the shiny metal pieces will actually slide out of the black trim if it's lose, but you might as well leave it and just pop/drill/rip/stare off the rivets.

·
4,637 Posts
grif900 said:
I suppose if you want to be a big sissy about it :cheesy: you could drill the rivets out, wich is the shure-fire way to do it , but you really can just tear the thing off without breaking the glass. I do it all the time.:cool:
Would you not get a 5-door? That way you get rear windows that wind down. Much easier... ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
5 doors in these here parts are scarce as hen's teeth......:eek: Looking for a turbo, 5 speed version.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts