SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my car has a red light on the dash for an alarm (OEM spot), but I have never seen it light up.

With my car, if I lock or unlock my doors from either side, only that door locks or unlocks. Effectively, my car doesn't have power locks, even though it does.

Also, what about a remote? I just picked up a 98 900S for my girlfriend with a working two-button remote key fob (Lock/unlock and trunk pop).

Should my 94 900S have a fob too?

It also has a punch panel next to the moonroof button (Blank location).

I just want to be able to lock my doors without having to manually do both.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
IIRC, '94s did not come with a security system. On the '98, you need at least 2 working fobs - just in case the car is secured and one fob fails. Otherwise, it will cost $1000 or more for a dealer to fix it. FFIW, I never use the fobs becasuse of the inherant problems. After all, it doesn't take much for a ten year old car to fail... Ron

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just to clarify, in case you don't have a owners manual, yes the 1994 should have an alarm system. It has a feature called dead locking that works if you turn the driver side lock to 3:00. Dead locking will arm the system, IIRC, don't open any other doors while deadlocked, it's meant to disable the car. Will also lock the fuel filler door.

The '94 is different than more recent years in that it did not come with a key fob, just a light on your key that may or may not work. If you are not seeing the light on the dash light up for about four seconds, and then go to a flash every 2 seconds, start with the fuse inside the driver's door. I thought my LED went dead, instead it was the faintest of cracks in the fuse.

Just one of the variances between the the very first 1994 models and newer, along with with rear brake hoses, parking brake cables, and I think the clutch is different, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts