SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Im currently attempting to replace the crank pulley on my 900 '88 16v turbo auto. My question is how to remove the crank pulley bolt. I have managed to get to the bolt. However I dont have the special saab tool to lock the pulley. How do i get to the starter motor to place a screwdriver in it? I have read past forums and info on the net, but I dont see how I can get to either the starter or to remove the clutch cover so I can pry a screwdriver. Im a first timer on working on saabs or any car for that matter so mind my ignorance if I'm not clear :roll: thanks

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Get an assistant to jam a very large screwdriver into the flywheel teeth that are accessible at the spot where you can see the timing marks. They should be able to get enough leverage to give you something to pull against.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
There is another hole on the lower left side of the trans. that I have used to lock the flywheel. All you need to do is jack the front up and get a decent prybar in there, then lower the car enough to trap the bar against the floor.

·
Registered
751 Posts
try putting the breaker bar on the pulley bolt and resting the handle against the lower chassis then cranking the engine with the starter motor..remove spark plugs first!

otherwise you need a helper to hold the screwdriver and brute force, took me and the local mechanic a 6foot scafold pole to loosen my pulley. PITA!! i put the screwdriver resting on the gearbox but my engine was out of the car at the time.

search some threads on it, its only recently i asked the same question

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
If you take out some of the bolts holding the plastic flywheel cover on, you can pry it out of the way and hold a screwdrver/prybar in place with one hand while breaking the crank bolt free with your other hand.

Alternately you can hold the screwdriver/prybar in place with vise-grips if needed to free up a hand.

I put a pipe on a breaker bar for the bolt, and with my left hand held a prybar jammed into the flywheel teeth in place against a bolt, effectively jamming the flywheel, then broke the bolt free with my right hand. You do all this standing on the left side of the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success. Thanks for all replies, its been a huge help. I finally managed to remove the pulley bolt. What I did was to remove a flywheel bolt and pry a screwdriver in the hole. see below.
I didnt find the rubber balancer as it may have fallen off when driving.
Now I will start shopping for a replacement. Are all HB the same for a '88 16valve turbo engine? I'm in two minds if I should remove the oil pump and have the O ring replaced as well. Is this a big job?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I would replace your front main seal at this time as well as the oil pump seal.

Take the oil pump off, replace the front main seal, replace oil pump seal, reinstall oil pump cover, install new HB, and button'er all up.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Vas, I've got all my seals and o-rings etc from Burson's in the past. Quick and not expensive. Can't remember where I got my harmonic balancer from. If not Burson's, it could have been Volv-Saab, so if you get something from them you may as well get the lot. Delivery to your door is pretty cheap, and saves a drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the benefits of replacing the oil pump seals and o-ring? I can't see any oil leaks coming from the oil pump cover.
I will give bursons a call tomorrow to see if they have the seals and o-ring

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
vas011 said:
What are the benefits of replacing the oil pump seals and o-ring? I can't see any oil leaks coming from the oil pump cover.
I will give bursons a call tomorrow to see if they have the seals and o-ring
The benefit lies mainly in that you don't have to remove everything again. Oil pump seal and front main seal both require removal of the HB to replace. No use doing everything twice and its certain both need replacement. They may not be leaking yet but the rubber is old and brittle and will start before too long.

Might as well do it now. When I took the HB off my 87, the front main seal came with it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Reminds me of something I was always told about Hondas and B5 turbo passats: change the timing belt and water pump at the same time since you have to do the same to get to either one.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
try putting the breaker bar on the pulley bolt and resting the handle against the lower chassis then cranking the engine with the starter motor..remove spark plugs first!

otherwise you need a helper to hold the screwdriver and brute force, took me and the local mechanic a 6foot scafold pole to loosen my pulley. PITA!! i put the screwdriver resting on the gearbox but my engine was out of the car at the time.

search some threads on it, its only recently i asked the same question
Anyone ever try an impact wrench? Even a 12 V one?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Reminds me of something I was always told about Hondas and B5 turbo passats: change the timing belt and water pump at the same time since you have to do the same to get to either one.
Goes back to my old rule of thumb- is there anything in the area I don't want to have to come back for if I can help it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Pretty sure there's not enough space. I had grind down a socket to get it to fit on there with my breaker bar.

Ames
While I was referring to the engine out scenario, a U-joint or two might possibly work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Anyone ever try an impact wrench? Even a 12 V one?
I just did it with engine out last week. I used a "normal" air impact wrench, not a 12V one, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts