SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the fuel filter on our 2002 9-3. Car has 190,000 miles on it and I'm pretty sure it's the original fuel filter. You can imagine what this thing looked like. In the process of changing the filter, the fuel line suffered a tear in the hose right where it joins to the banjo bolt. What are my options here? Do I have to replace the whole line or can I repair this someway? I appreciate any input

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
If it's on the input side to the filter, I would personally replace the line as it isn't too difficult and there isn't much exposed line to work with. If it's on the output side, you probably have enough slack to trim the line down and reinstall the fitting. Be aware reinstalling steel fittings into plastic line is No Fun. You might have a better time junkyarding a new line and installing it. It's fair easy to remove from a car.

Too little too late, but it's truly critical you hold the filter and the banjo with wrenches and move carefully to avoid this scenario. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's on the input side to the filter, I would personally replace the line as it isn't too difficult and there isn't much exposed line to work with. If it's on the output side, you probably have enough slack to trim the line down and reinstall the fitting. Be aware reinstalling steel fittings into plastic line is No Fun. You might have a better time junkyarding a new line and installing it. It's fair easy to remove from a car.

Too little too late, but it's truly critical you hold the filter and the banjo with wrenches and move carefully to avoid this scenario. :(
It's on the side with a 17mm bolt. I tried to keep the filter as still as possible, but everything was seized up solid and it was nearly impossible to break those bolts free. Looks like I'll just order a new line. Thanks

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Buy lots and lots of Kroil. If you live in a place with rust (and even if you don't) it's always worth having around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1. It's on the side with a 17mm bolt. I tried to keep the filter as still as possible, but everything was seized up solid and it was nearly impossible to break those bolts free. Looks like I'll just order a new line. Thanks
    Changed my mind! Found a great diy online and gonna
  2. Buy lots and lots of Kroil. If you live in a place with rust (and even if you don't) it's always worth having around.
    Decided I would try to repair the line. Found a nice diy online and it looks totally doable. I'll post my results

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those interested, I got a fuel line repair kit at autozone and it worked like a charm! Very quick and easy to do. No leaks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything is made by dorman
Got a fuel line about a foot long and a nylon fuel line press fit union.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts