1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok gang, here goes

1995 Saab 900se v6 cabrio

coolant leak, was slow and light faster now

over the summer, replace the lower radiator hose, upper was replaced about a year ago, slowed leak, did NOT eliminate it

not sure what the part is called just under the lower rubber radiator hose, two what appear by feel and weight to be aluminum pipes silver color, one has a web like round cover around it,
what are those called they certainly appear to be part of the coolant routing of hoses, pipes and all

have used a few Bars Leaks process to slow the problem, the other day while driving I noticed the car losing "power" check engine light came on and the engine shut down,

did some research, thinking possible head gasket failure

no oil discoloration on dipstick and looks clean and is at proper level

opinions, experience?

did I "fry" my engine the famous timing belt 2.5L made in england by gm v6

appreciate any help the forum guys and gals maybe can give me

first Saab was a brand spanking new 1984 Saab 900 Turbo, SPG
Black with tan leather

then the one above, on deck an 08 Saab 9-3 cabrio in mint condition

·
Registered
19,441 Posts
I doubt that the CEL is related to the cooling issue. Does it run now?

A timing belt failure with damage would be very noisy - internal engine parts clanging off each other. I think you would have noticed.

I think the two aluminum hoses you refer to are the A/C lines. They don't relate to your cooling loss. If you don't have a hose leaking, I would guess that the radiator itself is leaking. It's possible that another hose is shooting out coolant, or the water pump - you'd need to dry everything off and try to track it down.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
ok gang, here goes

over the summer, replace the lower radiator hose, upper was replaced about a year ago, slowed leak, did NOT eliminate it

not sure what the part is called just under the lower rubber radiator hose, two what appear by feel and weight to be aluminum pipes silver color, one has a web like round cover around it,
what are those called they certainly appear to be part of the coolant routing of hoses, pipes and all
I have found that corrosion can develop under hoses and wherever aluminum pieces fit together. You will have to track down exactly where the leak is. Hard to do if it's intermittent. Clean everything up, start the engine cold, and watch while it warms up.

If you're driving and smell coolant, pull over right away, open the hood, and maybe you will see where it's leaking.

All the hose clamps are tight, right?

have used a few Bars Leaks process to slow the problem
No. Bars Leaks will make a mess, possibly clog your heater, and will not fix leaks. :nono; I have never had that stuff work, in a whole variety of cars, and I wound up replacing a heater core in one.

the other day while driving I noticed the car losing "power" check engine light came on and the engine shut down,

did some research, thinking possible head gasket failure

no oil discoloration on dipstick and looks clean and is at proper level

opinions, experience?
You would have to find out what code made the light come on. I would not assume that the coolant leak has anything to do with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts