SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im new to this forum but I have a 1996 Saab 900SE V6 2.5L Automatic with 116K miles that I am told has a bent piston rod. The top half of the engine was recently repaired however, the bottom half has now malfunctioned and presumably produces the constant "clacking" sound when the engine is started.

do I need a new motor or can I fix that? and how hard would it be (I have swapped motors before, just not on Saabs) or can I just replace some parts, someone help me out please and around how much would it cost if i dont need a new motor(or if i do)

THANKS! :D:D:D

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Just curious how the bend connecting rod was diagnosed? If you injested some water, that would do it because water in the cylinder doesn't compress. Which bank is the bad cylinder (front or rear)?

A clanking sounds more like a failed bearing than a bent rod because a bent rod will only make noise when it snaps and comes through the block. You can start by dropping the pan and taking a look. If you're lucky, all you will need to do is replace a rod bearing - if the crankshaft is OK. If the crank is messed up, the engine will need to come out.

What was done to the top end? Broken timing belt?... Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts