SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, just bought a used 2001 95. It is hard to believe that any car was made in the last 5 years, much less a Saab, with such a completely suck-*** stereo. I rented an Oldsmobile Aero last month that had a better stereo!

So I took it in to get a better system put in. I didn't want to disrupt the central panel, so rather than install a new deck, we tried to bypass the old crappy amplifier with a new one, plus lots of fancy wiring. A 700 Watt Alpine amplifier was still not enough to make up for the weak signal coming out of the crappy factory deck.

The tech doesn't want to put in a new deck because it will pretty well screw up the console, and I'll lose the steering wheel controls, which I like.

Has anyone dealt with this? Please email me if you have any ideas [[email protected]]; I'd like to fix this thing as fast as possible. Is the tech working on my car just up in the night? Are 2001 95 stereos really that difficult to deal with? ANY help is greatly appreciated!

X

·
0 Posts
Hello Jim95 welcome to Saab Central. The basic AS1 model Radio/cd in the 9-5 really isnt up to much. The AS2 and AS3 are by far much better units. But alas it is not really possible to upgrade the AS1 because the car doesnt have the required wireing for the extra speakers. It is however possible to put an aftermarket radio in. One of the other moderators "Kermit" is just in the process of doing exactly this and I know that other members have got some impressive ICE systems in thier 9-5's. At present you have a double din case to hold your radio but it is possible to buy a new din cage allowing aftermarket radio's to be installed and a storage compartment. If you choose something like an Alpine unit it is possible to still use your exsisting steering wheel controls.. :D

A company called Parts for Saab can supply the Din replacement cage and they deliver worldwide. CLICK HERE FOR INFO

The Saab audio systems are a little odd and are bespoke to Saab. An aftermarket head unit will be the cheapest way to upgrade. here is a link that will give you some additional and interesting info on Saab audio.

CLICK HERE

Hope that helps a little

Finn :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finn, thanks so much. This guy does run a custom shop, and is willing to make a faceplate for me -- he'll try to blend it in as much as possible -- and I'll see if I can maintain use of the steering wheel controls.

I'm into the amplifiers and re-wiring 600+ dollars so far. Seems that this alternate approach of installing a new deck will work better and be cheaper.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Jim, if you go the Alpine route (which most seem to) the adaptor for the wheel controls is the KCE 867B. It wires in under the lower steering column shroud, two connectors and a blue "remote" feed back to the head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've decided to just give up and rip the factory deck out and replace it with a new one, return the 700W alpine amplifier that was required to get decent power out of the factory deck. Get some money back from that, which is nice.

What decks did you guys put in you cars? I've always liked Sony brand; they always sound great and make great use of their power. I only want a single CD deck -- no big-a** 6 CD changers in my trunk. I need to be able to control the EQ at least a little, including a subwoofer control for the Bazooka in the trunk.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
95 cd & radio

Hi Finn

If i bought an aftermarket cd,radio like an alpine how would you go about wireing it into the 95
Any help would be appreciated.

merv
(current car 95 2.3se estate my third saab in ten years ,only criticism is the way saab have wired the cd,radio)

·
Registered
68 Posts
i dont know about the us and canada but over here we use the ISO standard for all car stereos. the only problem with the 9-5 is that the constant live and the switch live for the stereo are the wrong way round.

you can either swap this with the bullet connectors on your stereos own loom-if it has one

or buy a wiring adaptor that can swap it to iso wiring

X

·
0 Posts
merv said:
Hi Finn

If i bought an aftermarket cd,radio like an alpine how would you go about wireing it into the 95
Any help would be appreciated.

merv
(current car 95 2.3se estate my third saab in ten years ,only criticism is the way saab have wired the cd,radio)

Kermit is the Alpine man....Im sure he will help ya..:cheesy:

X

·
0 Posts
jim95 said:
Any advice?
I recon a good chat with your local auto radio dealer is in order :cheesy: From what I understand the key is to find a radio that can cope with the steering wheel controls..

X

·
0 Posts
Eirian said:
i dont know about the us and canada but over here we use the ISO standard for all car stereos. the only problem with the 9-5 is that the constant live and the switch live for the stereo are the wrong way round.

you can either swap this with the bullet connectors on your stereos own loom-if it has one

or buy a wiring adaptor that can swap it to iso wiring

If you look in the picture of the new din case available from Parts For Saab in the earlier post , I think it comes with a loom adaptor :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts