SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
Noticed a puff of white smoke last thursday while pulling away from stopped, seen no more after that, next day drove the car to work, 35 mile trip which involves half hour parked in traffic, fan kicking in as it should, temp guage normal etc, got to work, checked coolant level all was fine, drove home that evening no probs, next day while nipping to the local shop noticed a puff of smoke while pulling out of the shops to go home, gave the car a rev and it stopped smoking, checked coolant it was still fine, next day however white smoke after about 30 secs from start up and plumes of it when revved,
switched it off and checked the oil and its a mucky brown colour, took off the alloy tube going into the intake manifold and found there was water in that
Dont know whats gone but im thinking head gasket or turbo, any ideas?
should have said
that its steam rather than smoke

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possible for coolant cooling the turbo to end up in the inlet manifold duct?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would I be right in thinking that the coolant just cools the turbo housing and there are no seals etc that water could leak through into the turbo itself?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
b.c said:
Would I be right in thinking that the coolant just cools the turbo housing and there are no seals etc that water could leak through into the turbo itself?
Unless the turbo center cartridge has a crack, I think that would be the case. If you start the engine with the coolant overflow tank cap off, can you see any bubbles coming out in the tank?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last time it was running checked coolant tank and no bubbles wer coming through it although there was some water dripping out of the exhaust where the turbo joins the downpipe:confused:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
b.c said:
Last time it was running checked coolant tank and no bubbles wer coming through it although there was some water dripping out of the exhaust where the turbo joins the downpipe:confused:
Take the elbow off of the turbo, my pic shows what you'll probably find. Sounds like headgasket time to me. pull the plugs and take a look with a small light, if yove got coolant dumping out of the exhaust side of the turbo you will find atleast one wet cylinder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts