SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been a silent forum user loitering here since I picked up my 1st Saab last xmas.. A 1996 P Reg, 900 New Gen, 2 litre 16v Turbo S(full blown) 3 door.
So far I'm extremely impressed with the vehicle, almost to the point that I dont think I'll ever be able to buy anything other than another Saab!

My question relates to the new ecotech fuel energizer which I've just purchased after having spent a good few days researching them and having decided to try their 90 day money back guarentee out... the unit is supposed to increase MPG, burn more fuel more efficiently hence more performance and cleaner injectors and extended CAT life.
I have now received one... BUT... It has to be fitted to the fuel supply pipe, just before the injection unit.
Having examined the engine underneath the plastic cover it seems that there are 3 posibilities; the injector rail looks to have 2 pipes going to it and there is also another pipe which comes out of the O/S suspension turret and then goes into a black filter looking type unit.
Can anyone confirm which of these 3 pipes is the fuel supply? is one of them a fuel return? - Let me know if you want me to take a piccie so that you can mark on which pipe I need to use.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated ;)

Many Thanks,
Chris.

p.s. while I'm here... i also noticed whilst under the plastic cover that one of the vacuum pipes was split almost in half, it's the one which goes to the silver metal circular type device which seems to mount to the other end of the injector rail. What does this pipe do? what kind of problems would having this pipe split have caused? Should I notice anything now that I've chopped the split part off? (i'm going to eventually replace the whole pipe incase its split anywhere else as the rubber seemed really brittle and close to totally disintegrating - i.e. I just ripped it off the metal pipe where it connected to and tore the split part out before re-fitting it). TVM ;)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hi and welcome to Saab-Central. Please don't be offended by this advice - take advantage of their money back offer and return the unit - it will do absolutley nothing to the performance of your car. The fuel lines are hard plastic which once cut will be near impossible to safley join together.The T5 engine management is a highly sophisticated and precise fuel, ignition and boost controler which cannot be improved by such a device. Use the money to make some worthwhile improvements like repairing that split pipe.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here here, dont you watch "MythBusters", they did a whole show on these ridiculous gadgets. None worked as advertised. Get your money back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shirozina said:
Hi and welcome to Saab-Central. Please don't be offended by this advice - take advantage of their money back offer and return the unit - it will do absolutley nothing to the performance of your car. The fuel lines are hard plastic which once cut will be near impossible to safley join together.The T5 engine management is a highly sophisticated and precise fuel, ignition and boost controler which cannot be improved by such a device. Use the money to make some worthwhile improvements like repairing that split pipe.
Hiya, thanks for the welcome...

I completely know where you are coming from, but as it clips on the outside of the pipe, no cutting is required :) I've got 90 days and it was only a tenner! So I'm going to try it anyway and keep an eye on my MPG. Can you tell me which one is the supply pipe & which is the return?
I did quite a bit of reading up on these and the science behind it does make sense, altho I am very sceptical by nature so am not expecting a miracle!
I've ordered some silicone vac pipe from elkparts.com so will sort the vac pipe out aswell ;)

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok in that case I have some genuine UFO parts I took off a UFO that crashed into my rocketship I keep outside. For a nominal fee they can be yours!

This comes with a 90 day money back guarantee!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
waxil said:
p.s. while I'm here... i also noticed whilst under the plastic cover that one of the vacuum pipes was split almost in half, it's the one which goes to the silver metal circular type device which seems to mount to the other end of the injector rail. What does this pipe do? what kind of problems would having this pipe split have caused? Should I notice anything now that I've chopped the split part off? (i'm going to eventually replace the whole pipe incase its split anywhere else as the rubber seemed really brittle and close to totally disintegrating - i.e. I just ripped it off the metal pipe where it connected to and tore the split part out before re-fitting it). TVM ;)
If you are talking about this:

then renewing the vacuum line to it should improve your fuel economy all by itself. This is your fuel pressure regulator.
The science behind your "fuel energizer" is fantasy. There is no device that you can simply clip onto the fuel delivery system that will improve mileage. On the other hand I have some face cream here for sale (for the amazingly low, low price of $59.99) that will remove wrinkles, cure erectile dysfunction, grow hair on a billiard ball, and make you fabulously wealthy within three weeks, satisfaction guaranteed or your money back . . . but wait, if you act now you will also receive, absolutely free, the atomic nose hair atomizer (a thirty dollar value). And there's more . . . but you get the picture.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The best place would be to strap it to the outside of your oil filter as it will retain any ferrous metal particals in the oil. The magnet is very good at attracting iron but as far as conventional science understands the basic workings of the physical universe it does not have any such effect on hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Saaboheme said:
If you are talking about this:

then renewing the vacuum line to it should improve your fuel economy all by itself. This is your fuel pressure regulator.
The science behind your "fuel energizer" is fantasy. There is no device that you can simply clip onto the fuel delivery system that will improve mileage. On the other hand I have some face cream here for sale (for the amazingly low, low price of $59.99) that will remove wrinkles, cure erectile dysfunction, grow hair on a billiard ball, and make you fabulously wealthy within three weeks, satisfaction guaranteed or your money back . . . but wait, if you act now you will also receive, absolutely free, the atomic nose hair atomizer (a thirty dollar value). And there's more . . . but you get the picture.
LMAO!! :lol: So basically I've been conned out of my 10 quid for a 50p magnet!! Probably along with thousands of others who cant prove either way whether the device does anything thus are unable to get a refund!!

Doh! How dumb do i feel!!! :roll:

Cheers for the reality check! Think I needed it!

Was there meant to be a picture in your post m8? It didn't show up, I'll put my research time into something more useful and check out what the split pipe was for! It was probably what was ruining my fuel economy in the first place causing me to look into that damn magnet, but i suppose at least I found the split pipe whilst trying to fit the magnet which i wouldn't have noticed otherwise!!
This is what the thing looks like where the split pipe went to (although it's not my car or what my engine looks like, it's just the only pic i could find!)...

What does it do? the pipe was fairy knackered, so will i have been damaging my engine or ecu?

In future, I think i'll stick to being a computer geek and leave the car mechanics to the experts!!!! ;) ;oops:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Having read the following blurb again, it does sound good and sucks you into their sales pitch.. but then they blag you with the "7 Golden Rules"!!

The Fuel Energizer

The Fuel Energizer is a frequency resonator that uses Neodymium Super Conductor Magnets, which break and then realign the hydrocarbon chains in the fuel passing through the fuel line of your vehicle. The magnetic field created by the Fuel Energizer ionizes the fuel being fed to the engine, which itself produces a more complete combustion, maximizes fuel economy, improves fuel efficiency and reduces polluting emissions.
By installing these Neodymium Super Conductor Magnets close to your carburetor/injection system, your vehicle will start to feel the result of the Resonance frequency of the Neodymium Super Conductor Magnets and by making the fuel flow smoother your engine will run more efficiently. The way to ensure that you will gain the best results from The Fuel Energizer is by following the easy "Golden Seven Steps Rule".

Special Benefits of The Fuel Energizer:

• Upto 28% Fuel saving on your mileage per litre
  • Increased acceleration
  • Reduction in AC drag
  • Up to 40% Reduction in Carbon Monoxide emissions
  • Reduction in exhaust smoke
  • Extends your engine life, cleans out carbon deposits
  • Up to 30% increase in life of your catalytic convertor exhaust system
  • A smoother running engine

http://www.thefuelenergizer.com/

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
waxil said:
This is what the thing looks like where the split pipe went to (although it's not my car or what my engine looks like, it's just the only pic i could find!)...

What does it do? the pipe was fairy knackered, so will i have been damaging my engine or ecu?

In future, I think i'll stick to being a computer geek and leave the car mechanics to the experts!!!! ;) ;oops:
Your picture is indeed a picture of the fuel pressure regulator. The FPR is modulated by engine vacuum. At idle, it keeps pressure lower and as engine load increases, it raises the fuel pressure. Without the vac line connected, it is pressurizuing the fuel rail constantly so you are running rich at idle. Replace the vacuum line to it and you will very likely cure your poor economy. Long term damage is unlikely BUT, because it has been running rich, you will want to change the oil right away. Excess petrol will find its way into the sump, thinning the oil and promoting the formation of harmful acids and varnish.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Waxil, you be not the first, nor will you be the last to be taken by, what I consider to be the intelligent criminal element in merchandising.:nono;

These scum have been around since day thirteen, this is why 13 is considered to be unlucky.:cheesy:

At an age of 16 I was taken by "Motoloy", advertised in Motor Trend, I think.;oops:
We still live in a buyer beware world. Consumer Protection is limited, the best protection is knowledge.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Saaboheme said:
Your picture is indeed a picture of the fuel pressure regulator. The FPR is modulated by engine vacuum. At idle, it keeps pressure lower and as engine load increases, it raises the fuel pressure. Without the vac line connected, it is pressurizuing the fuel rail constantly so you are running rich at idle. Replace the vacuum line to it and you will very likely cure your poor economy. Long term damage is unlikely BUT, because it has been running rich, you will want to change the oil right away. Excess petrol will find its way into the sump, thinning the oil and promoting the formation of harmful acids and varnish.
Doubtlessly, what Saaboheme has to say is very true.
The unused gasoline will actually raise the oil level - gasoline is a poor lubricant and dangerous. An oil level check will reveal this if there is a lot of gas in the engine oil.,There may be a "gassy" odor..
An oil analysis is a good idea...
BTW, another thing about an old FPR(fuel pressure regulator), its vacuum line must be connected to the correct port, of course. And, if the FPR diaphragm is inflexible due to age, it will not function well..If its diaphragm is cracked due to more age, then gas will be sucked directly into the engine..
I do not know how long this FPR is supposed to endure... it cannot be forever ...
A fuel pressure gauge does have its place on a ten year old vehicle..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks for all of the replies, I've got my new silicone vac pipe thru now, but am unable to fit due to a trapped nerve in my neck :(
I'll get round to it asap.

Can i just check what you said about the FPR? do you think mine could be goosed? and will a pressure guage test this? - do i need to buy one and where does it mount? will i need to run a feed to it inside the car?
How about one of these?... http://www.scangauge.com/ - would look good in place of the SID ;)

Sorry for all the questions! I feel like the host of mastermind!! Special subject, the B204 Saab engine! or is it B205?!!!! ;-)

Thanks again,
Waxil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts