SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some tips on fighting rust along the inside lower lip of the hatch. I touched up this area before, but now there seems to be a line of solid rust along the entire seam. At this rate, the seam will be gone in another couple winters :eek: !

I read a few of the previous posts on hatch rust, but none explain where the rust is coming from, inside or the outside, and how water is collecting along the hatch frame and seam.

I have small wet spots about the size of a palm under the spare tire cover, right and left just at the rear shocks. Not sure if that is related (sunroof drains are tight). Water seems to collect along the inside of the hatch frame after a rain, but not a huge amount.

Not looking forward to tearing out all the carpeting and inside trim for the second time, and hoping not to have to do it again in a couple years, so... what is up with the hatch, anyone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I managed to find rust in my hatch aswell, found this as I kept getting leaks in my boot.

My rust was on the side wing of the car on the right hand side near the rear qaurter window. Unfortunately I did have to remove the carpet to get to this area

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the felt liner inside the hatch (two of the torx screws are hidden under the plastic trim :roll: ), but could not see inside the hollow areas just above the seam. I also scraped more of the paint away, but it was flaking on its own.

Did not much like what I saw. Easy to see how the water gets in, and perhaps the small drain holes are not enough to let it out. No easy way to get at all the rust without cutting the hatch. No obvious way to keep water from collecting here. I think the road salt wins this one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts