SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am attempting to replace the fuel pump motor only, not the whole assembly. So I wrestled with the Saab-specific ring that covers the pump and I managed to open it without damaging anything. Then I pulled the whole unit out, took it apart and took the failed motor out. Nothing seemed difficult or complicated. I bought the new motor and as I was getting ready to put the unit back together and install it in the tank, I noticed something concerning.

It seems like my fuel pump assembly, as I pulled it out, is missing a part. I was just looking at pictures of the complete assembly online. You can look at the link below. If you click on the image of the whole assembly ($539.22), at the bottom of the picture there is something next to the ring – a rectangular little black box that is attached to the main body through a tiny metal rod. This is the thing I am missing. My only guess is that I wasn’t careful enough when I was pulling the assembly out of the tank, it probably got stuck and fell back in the tank. Any suggestions? What does that thing do anyway and what if it has been sitting on the bottom of the fuel tank soaked in gasoline for 3 weeks now, can I still reattach it and use it?

http://www.saabpartsdirect.com/saab/fuel-air-intake.asp

Thanks a lot. I hope I can finish by today if id doesn’t turn to be a big deal.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
pab95 said:
That is the float for your fuel gauge. I'm sure it can be reused if it was not broken off.
And as it's a float, I doubt that it's been on the bottom of the tank - it's more likely to be bobbing around somewhere - best of luck finding it through the access hole -

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You haven't lost or need that float, and was never there in the first place on your car. You have a seperate fuel level sender for the fuel gauge. It's under the small rubber cover to the right of the pump acess hole in the floor. Not to worry.

According to the description of the item, it's for a NG900 anyways, maybe they used an integrated level sender.

Glad to hear you have it all sorted out.

-Rob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Udpate

Yes,

Rob preempted me with this information, thanks. I had to figure it out through experiencing it. As soon as I saw the small rubber cover electric wired and going into the tank I knew that I hadn’t lost anything.

Ironically, after I replaced the pump it is the fuel gauge that is acting strange now. The pump works, the car started, no issues there. Every time you step up the gas pedal the fuel indicator on the dash goes crazy bouncing up and down the scale. Eventually it settles together with the acceleration and in fact measures the fuel level correctly. Only if I accelerate very gradually it doesn’t do that. Any ideas on that?

Also, there is still gasoline smell inside the car. This has been there ever since I bought it in July 2007, even before the fuel pump failed. So it seems they aren’t related. What’s with the smell do you think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Rosko said:
Yes,

Rob preempted me with this information, thanks. I had to figure it out through experiencing it. As soon as I saw the small rubber cover electric wired and going into the tank I knew that I hadn’t lost anything.

Ironically, after I replaced the pump it is the fuel gauge that is acting strange now. The pump works, the car started, no issues there. Every time you step up the gas pedal the fuel indicator on the dash goes crazy bouncing up and down the scale. Eventually it settles together with the acceleration and in fact measures the fuel level correctly. Only if I accelerate very gradually it doesn’t do that. Any ideas on that?

Also, there is still gasoline smell inside the car. This has been there ever since I bought it in July 2007, even before the fuel pump failed. So it seems they aren’t related. What’s with the smell do you think?

Thanks!

Not sure about the guage, it's possible some crud was stirred up inside the tank and got into the sender, but there's a screeen that usually prevents that. There's a float nside the sender that needs to move quite freely up and down inside a cylinder.

If you have a gas smell inside, you may not have the large fuel pump retaining ring on tight enough, or the seal between the pump and the tank isn't completely sealed. The smell can be caused by the tiniest little leak.

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gas Smell

The thing is that the gasoline smell was always there, even before I messed with the fuel pump. And I could tell that that was the original pump and it has never been open before. So the smell pre-existed my fuel pump intervention. Is there anything else that might be causing it? It is particularly strong in the car, not so much in the trunk even.

As to the gauge, is it tricky to take it out and take a look?

Thanks!

P.S. Actually never mind the smell, there is a whole separate topic on that running in the forum. Tips on the gauge are welcome though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts