SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have 2000 9-3 SE HB. I need to pull out the radiator fan to replace the classic "blown resistor" - and fix a low-speed fan issue. I spent a couple of hours trying to remove it (following the instructions in the WIS) - but no matter what i tried...the shroud always got stuck - either by the bolt that helps hold the engine shield on...or by the ever-frustrating power-steering pipe - wow...what a snug fit. Is there a trick...that I'm missing?

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this - greatly appreciated!

Tom

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Did you remove the heat shield over the turbo? That will free up some space. The hoses that get in the way have enough play that you can squeeze the radiator out, so the fan should slide out much easier.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just did this the other day. Took out the heat shield for the turbo, unbolted the power steering hose that runs above the radiator, unbolted the power steering reservoir from it's holder-clamp-thingy, loosened the screw clamp of the air intake tube end that goes into the throttle body (loosened a little and moved upwards from the throttle body) and also disconnected the rubber intercooler hose that goes onto the other end of the plastic air intake tube. Also removed the turbo bypass valve (i think it's called) that goes into the end of the air intake tube near the end that the rubber intercooler hose is.

After all these things are loosened I found it a lot easier to shove the power steering hose out of the way towards the engine (loosening the power steering reservoir holder-clamp-thingy helps allow for this to also move the reservoir wherever you need it to go to assist in this), then move the air intake tube a little out of the way, and also was able to push aside the rubber intercooler hose that goes into the bottom of the plastic air intake tube, while moving the fan out. Even after all of that it was a little bit of a struggle but if you keep at it it'll come out. Seems like a lot but it was all a matter of a few screw clamps and bolts being loosened and it just made it a lot easier in the end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh.... maybe that's what i was doing WRONG... I kept trying to push the power steering hose/pipe out of the way.... toward the FRONT of the car, as compared to toward the engine....

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Oh.... maybe that's what i was doing WRONG... I kept trying to push the power steering hose/pipe out of the way.... toward the FRONT of the car, as compared to toward the engine....

Thanks so much!
I tried both ways and it seemed to work better to push it to the engine, but I had to push the power steering reservoir that way also. Just be careful not to crimp the lines or something, it gets close. My powersteering line had some kind of metal clamp on the line right near the battery too that, for me, wasn't connected to anything. Maybe on yours it is, I don't know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's right... that power-steering pipe feels like it has a pressure fit...right underneath the battery platform. Should i remove the battery and the platform it rests on? Did you have to?

·
Registered
734 Posts
That's right... that power-steering pipe feels like it has a pressure fit...right underneath the battery platform. Should i remove the battery and the platform it rests on? Did you have to?
I didn't remove my battery but it seemed like whatever clamp was on the steering hose at that location used to be bolted in somewhere. You may have to undo it on yours, I don't know if that means you need to remove the battery though, gotta take a look and see what you think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again! It was very disheartening to battle for a couple of hours and not be victorious. You've given me hope that I can win this one!

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok... one final THANK YOU. Taking out the battery as well as pushing the power steering pipe toward the back the car made all the difference!!! Success!

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts