SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek: Two days ago, my top went down, but wouldnt go bakc up, now, when its baout to rain, i go to put the top up , and it wont go up. the windows wont go up either. it seems liek there is no power going to either the top or the windows. Is there one main relay for both that could be bad? all the other switched in the center console work, just no the top or window switches. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
did you check the fuses? if so does everything else work? as in does the car start ect? this sounds like a related electrical gremlin as the power windows are not hydraulic and they do not function.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
the fuses for your windows and top are situated under the back seat,lift seat upwards from the seat front(good pull, retained by spring steel clips) and they are on the right as you look into seat well, labelled up which one is what and the relays are there also. it might be you have some water ingress and that might have tripped them out

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, all the fuses are good. the relays are there, and i can hear them clicking on, i just need to take them out one by one , see which ones dont work.

and for more info, the car starts adn runs fine, everythign works except for the top and windows. there is power getting to the window and top switches, the switches do have opena nd close functions ok running through thtem, but once i try to use them, they dont want to work.

does anyone know how to test the relays, or had this problem.

also, what is the plug next to the fuses for. it plugs into another plug in the side wall, and it start adn terminates right back into its self.

thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Actually, on your car (according to the Bentley) the relays are part of the switch pack.

Never actually seen the switch pack, so I don't know if the relays are a discrete component there or if they are truly integrated. You should look.

Unfortunately, there may be no way to test other than hook up a multimeter to monitor the output voltage.

If you don't have the Bentley, now's the time to get it!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, the only problem is finding one around grand rapids. I'm half thinking of just taking it rigth to the dealership monday or tuesaday and asking them just to find the problem. i thank everyone for the help so far, and i'll let ya know whats going on as i figure it out.

·
4,637 Posts
I'd be inclined to suspect the supply to the fuse/relay box under the rear seat. That's where roof, windows and rear screen demister are controlled from. Do you hear any relay click noises when you go to raise the top? BTW, did you check the roof fuse under the bonnet above the right hand fender?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fuses under the hood (bonnet) are good. i can hear some of them click, but im going to go back out and check them one by one... . then im going down to the local superstore, they have some repair manuals, have to see if they have one for 89-93/94. and also , might just have to break down and go to the dealer, hope not, but if i cant figure it out by tonight, i dont knowe...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get this, i had my mom sit in the drivers seat, and try the switches, this was after i removed all but the top and the ignition switch relays. she rocked the switrch one way, nothing, rocked it back the other, and bam, the motor is purrign again. i was like what the heck!?!? so i try all my windows, top, everything is working agian. I am completely dumbfounded now.

but it all works, so all is good.

thanks for the help, and telling me where to find those relayts and such.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know, she says shes my lucky charm, and everythign is still operational as of today, so all is good. however, i still cannot find the convertible hydraulic valve that lets you manually oipen and close the top. oh well...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The valve is in the trunk all the way to the right (passenger) side of the vehicle where the floor meets the rear seat bulkhead. The valve is under a little flap in the felt (velcro closure) on the short vertical surface right at the floor.

Just feel for the opening by pressing on the felt covering, you'll find it.

·
4,637 Posts
And if it's anything like mine, it'll be wedged in the closed position. Tried it out the other day and couldn't budge it. I didn't want to break anything so I didn't try to force it. If yours is stuck like that, try rocking it back and forth multiple times rather than trying to force it all the way in one go. Of course, it's only ever necessary when the rain is p***ing down and the electrics won't work so there's no time to free up the valve.

What's the odds there'll be a flurry of posts along the lines of "I broke my manual bypass valve and now my top won't work" over the next few days?... :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think i lknow where your talking about now, i've seent that little flap thing, just never boithered to see whats under it. definately check it out after work tongiht. just in case it happens again. especially wioth memorial weekend coming up, that baby is going to be down every mintue it can ...

thansk again to all...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i figured it out!!! i have a fuse that blows out in the relay/fuse pack under the back seat. its labeled as (el. man. left), or (seat el. man left). the windows stopped working today again, so i popped opff the back seat, adn low and behold the sam efuse was blown. didnt think anytthing of it the first time the windosws stopped, so i had replaced it, thinking it was to do with teh seats. now i know better,

anyone have an idea as to what this is for, as i have no idea what el man left means. if your looking at it, its labeled number 9, lower left hand side if your looking out the back window.

thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
is it for electric seats(mevement)might be a wire thats broke with the continual seat movement and shorting out when its move etc??:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not quite sure, i think i'll wait for the fuse to blow again, anf then try th e seats. im to lazt to rip the seat off again and pull it out , plus the car is loaded with camping gear right now.
i'll keep you updaated when it happens agian, as its bound to happen again..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts