SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - my car has been making noxious fumes and passing them into the cabin - main agent tells me that I have an oil leak from the timing case and its dripping onto the exhaust causing oil fumes.

Indie dealer tells me that it's a common fault on 2.0lpts and will fix it for £1400

OK - questions - I'm really not using much oil - is there anything else I can do to
1. stop the leak temporarily
2. stop it reaching the exhaust
The car ia a MY99 2.0 lpt auto with 99K miles and I have to doubt the value of spending lots of cash

PS - is there any guarantee that this is what's causing the fumes?:cry:

·
Registered
230 Posts
How trustworthy is your indy? The oil pressure sensor is another very common leak that will drop oil onto the cat and cause fumes. Very inexpensive to change!

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Another check I had for the same reason ( bad fumes in teh passenger compartmetn) the Trans seal was leaking and it was throwing oil up which them leaked down on the exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - yes looks like the oil pressure sensor - did it yesterday - good so far.
managed to get in from above - very tricky but saves all that jacking up.

I thought of something which would have helped - cut a very narrow slot in a ring spanner and then it can get past the sensor wire!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't think I've ever heard of anyone here getting it from above. I gave it a shot but couldn't get to it! Did you remove anything to make more room?
zoso said:
Thanks - yes looks like the oil pressure sensor - did it yesterday - good so far.
managed to get in from above - very tricky but saves all that jacking up.

I thought of something which would have helped - cut a very narrow slot in a ring spanner and then it can get past the sensor wire!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hoses

On most cases fumes come from bad crankcase ventilation rubber hoses. Normally hose coming from valve cover breaks. Just take plastic cover out and check hoses.
Regards
Seppo

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The timing cover has about 15-18 bolts that hold it to the front of the block. It also has several bolts coming from other items such as the Alternator, PS pump and water pump. If it's leaking then I'd be shocked. I also don't think it's as "common" as he stated. If it is indeed leaking, try taking a torx and tightening the bolts. If it still leaks, loosen them all, put some copper form-a-gasket in the slit then tighten it back down. There is no gasket, just a forma-gasket type sealer from the factory.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
getting to oil pressure sensor from above.

1. take off the press on cover that goes around the oil filler
2. undo the one bolt that support the delivery tube - this allows the tube to drop by about an inch - makes a massive difference
3. bend up (slightly) the mild steel bracket that holds a few electrical connectors that constantly dig into your wrist otherwise

cut a small slit in a ring spanner so that it can slip over the sensor wire to get it on and off

only bit I needed my wife to do was connecting up the electrical connector afterward .

Hope this helps - many many thanks for all of the responses which have turned an £1800 plus job into a £16 one (if you include buying a 24mm spanner):p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts