SaabCentral Forums banner

Help! They totaled my 97x

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  timg 
#1 ·
Hey Saab lovers-
I was in an accident 2/4/12 and did about $2800 usd damage in parts to the front end,
I had two major collision centers here tell me they could not find the parts -so they totaled it.

I do not think this could be possible! I am sick about losing her- she was the 2nd 97x in the state, and has been perfect!

I may get another 97x b/c nothing else compares, but do you think there are parts , and are my folks too lazy to find or fix?

I cannot belive that no one has the parts to fix, there must be thousands of us!!

Thanks for listening

~Saabbaby

#2 ·
New or Used parts? Maybe new is in fact hard to find.

If the repair it is out of your pocket or if you don't mind go used parts...although some repair shops don't like to go that route either......OH the asking price in not what they will sell for BTW.

Go to http://www.car-part.com/

I just saw (5) entire noses there for our 97x's for sale.

You also can look for the individual fenders, hood or what you might need etc....

#6 ·
Body panels and bits unique to Saab are going to be hard to get. Our 97x was in the shop recently for a minor scrape to the rear passenger door and they were unable to source the body molding that goes along the fender after calling several Saab dealers. They ended up fixing and repainting the original part.

#7 ·
I still don't understand this...used parts have to be available for this car. They made over 20,000 of these cars.

I thought the part situation was resolved. If GM stamped these parts, aren't they the ones still making these parts?

I drove a 1987 Volvo 740 in 2001 and used to go to the junkyard all the time for parts and I could find them. And this was before the internet is what it is today.

Sure they made more 7 series Volvos but I had no problem getting used parts from the junkyard when that model had been out of production for over 10 years.

#8 ·
What molding? Couldn't they source a Bravada for this? Co on Cars.com and look at a side profile, it is the same car.

I have found that most places just don't get this car. They don't know it is a TB/Bravada/Ascender/Envoy until you tell them.

I am lucky. My mechanic totally understands this and calls the Chevy/Buick dealer when he needs parts.

There have to be parts out there. With 20,000 of these things on the road, they aren't dime a dozen but I see several a week in this area which is anti-Saab.

#9 ·
The flare that goes around the wheel well along the back door. I don't think they are the same part. The Bravada had door ribs, the 97x does not?

Bravada

97x

Aren't the front fenders and hood unique to the 97x too? In any case, that was just my experience. For the most part I have zero trouble re: maintenance on it, I just source parts for same year Rainier's and most mechanics around here work on it no prob.

#10 ·
Ahh you caught me...good catch...You are right, I am wrong.

I don't know actually if the fender flares are integrated in those awful plastic door guards. It looks the Rainier has the same ones. Next time I see a Rainier/Bravada parked, I'll see if it is a seperate part. Even if they are integrated, I wonder if you could seperate them with a dremel and do some fiberglass work...

Take the door part out of the equation and those flares look VERY similar..

Yes the Saab's bumpers are unique, but I'd say overall the car is 95% like other GM 360 SUVS. I can tell too. I know there are a lot of GM haters on here ( I am not one of them), but they do build a solid SUV with solid engines and transmission. 106,000 miles on mine and still running strong. I have no replaced no parts on this except for a fuel level sensor and a Xenon ballast. 800 dollars in repairs since the warranty expired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.