SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed air filter, cabin ventilation filter and spark plugs.

Then a strange things happen. now take long time(triple times) get engine temperature to NORMAL. If I stop the car to idle, soon will drop below normal(1 minite). Then I found if I turn off heat, the temperature will goes up to normal.

some idea?what is going on?
looks like the temperature sensor is not dead. maybe after they change the part but didn't seal good?
or since new filters?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If your temperature gauge is moving, sounds like the sensor is working.

This sound like a stuck thermostat. They can stick open or closed, and yours sounds like it's stuck open.

Pretty easy to check this just by playing with your heater. Drive along until the engine temp gets to normal (heater off). Then put the heater on max (no recirc). Cold air will rush through your heater core and the temp gauge will drop. Switch it over to recirc and see if the temp starts to climb.

Should you need a new thermostat get the exact part. If Saab calls for a 192 degree stat you need 192. 185 won't be good enough, and the ECM will never think the car is warmed up. Places like Autozone sell Stant thermostats in 185, 195, etc. You need the exact temp, not "close enough."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, do you mean that thermostat is dead?

ctrlz said:
If your temperature gauge is moving, sounds like the sensor is working.

This sound like a stuck thermostat. They can stick open or closed, and yours sounds like it's stuck open.

Pretty easy to check this just by playing with your heater. Drive along until the engine temp gets to normal (heater off). Then put the heater on max (no recirc). Cold air will rush through your heater core and the temp gauge will drop. Switch it over to recirc and see if the temp starts to climb.

Should you need a new thermostat get the exact part. If Saab calls for a 192 degree stat you need 192. 185 won't be good enough, and the ECM will never think the car is warmed up. Places like Autozone sell Stant thermostats in 185, 195, etc. You need the exact temp, not "close enough."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ctrlz said:
A sticking thermostat needs to be replaced. No fix for this.
as you said, I used your way to test it.

but the temperature only drop when I stop the car to idle.

if driving, it will keep in normal line.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Pop your hood with the car idling and see if the radiator fans are stuck on high speed. See if they turn on and off when you vary the climate settings. Particularly check them with A/C off. If they stay on with the car idling and A/C off, the fan controller is probably at fault.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts