SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: We used the convertible all last summer on our 900S and now it seems to be jammed and won't go down. The motor appears to be functioning as the front of the roof will rise, however, the very back of the roof under the rear window appears to be stuck and will not rise (even tried manually opening it)! Please send help....it's summer here !!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, I don't know if this will help, but I had a simiular problem with my 1999 9-3. It turned out to be some error codes needing to be cleared. Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Summer no Convertible

I agree, you should first try to go to a SAAB dealer and have them check the codes. They may not even charge you :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I currently have the same problem with my wife's 1997 900S. I believe that the problem is with the 5th bow motor (p/n 7497878 for our years). This motor is located on the inside of the tonneau cover and controls the mechanism which locks the back of the roof to the tonneau. If the motor sticks, it cannot pull the pins to release the roof so it can begin its fold cycle.

Last summer our motor stuck but the roof was going up so the result was that back of the roof was not locked down to the tonneau (there was about a 1" gap). This makes it easy to access the motor. At the time I removed the motor cleaned and lubed it but couldn't see any problem. After reinstallation it worked fine until about 2 weeks ago and the stuck again. I pulled it out again and could now feel a bit of binding in the gearing. After lubricating the gear it worked fine until yesterday.

Now, like yours, mine is stuck in closed position so accessing the motor to replace it may be challenging. I just ordered a replacement motor and will investigate how to get to it (thorough the trunk or back seat) tomorrow. Best price I could find was $230 from thesaabsite.com (local dealer wanted $263 to $289 and several days to order it).

Good luck -
Hank

PS....if pulled manual release handle (behind the back seat) there are some other steps needed to get the top working again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Hank, this sounds exactly like my problem. Please let me know if you've figured out a way to access the motor with the top fully closed. I really don't want to have to hack into the roof bag, but it sure looks that way doesn't it? We really want to get the roof working so that we can trade the car...let's face it, a convertible with the top up is just a coupe. Thanks again, and I hope to hear some good news.

Dennis

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
i have recently replaced the hole hood mechanism on my wifes 95 vert and trust me there is no way into the 5th bow motor with out cutting the hood bag and then you need to remove the motor cover which is 2 bolts and a few clips, however you can unbolt the brackets that stick though the tonneau from the 5th bow from inside the car its not easy and expect to graze a nuckle or two :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
An update on the replacement of the 5th bow motor - I got lucky! after two weeks of not being able to lower the roof I tried it one last time to gain access to the underside of the tonneau, prior to resorting to more drastic measures, and for some reason it worked. This made changeing to motor no problem. The 5th bow motor kit includes new latches, linkage, wiring and the motor; by Saab standards it looks like a lot parts for the price. The latches and linkage did not seem to fit my 97 but there was nothing wrong with my old ones. The total job took less that an hour and the top is now working great again.

I think boxman has the right idea, the best way to access the motor with the top in the up position would probably be to remove the upper latch brackets from the top (inside) and not damage to trunk interior or plastic liner.

Hope yours works out as well
Hank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys looks as though I'm having some convertible issues as well. I just bought the car about 3 weeks ago and have been raising and lowering the top on a pretty frequent basis with no problems. Yesterday I was lowering the top and all was fine until it got about 3/4 of the way down. The top just wouldn't fully lower. The "check soft top" appeared on the SID.....I then just tried to raise the top with no luck. I heard the motor attempt to work but the top just wouldn't move. Finally I just pulled the manual release and raised the top that way. Now the top is closed but un latched at the tonneau cover. It sounds very similar to the problems you guys had with the 5th bow motor. Is it fairly easy to remove, inspect and replace? Also since I pulled the manual release lever, what other steps would I need to get the top back operable after I try to clean off the motor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks !!

-B

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having problems with my convertible too. I have a 96 900s Conv. and when i press the switch, the backwindow goes up like it's suppose to all the way and then when it's time for the back lid to open up, it opens up about an inch and then it starts to make a horrific noice. It sounds like a creeck and while it's creecking it stalls and kind of shakes. I try to lower it again and then try raising it again. It raises but very loudly as if it's going to break. Everything else works fine. Does anyone know? I'm a new saaber and I love it but I hate what's happening to it right now.

Thanks!
TWINN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts