SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 05 saab 9-3 2l turbo and the speedo just stopped working. Car still starts and drives okay. Any idea on what's wrong?

Thanks
Dexter

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Do you have TECH2 or even OBD reader?
Check if you have RPM signal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i don't have a tech2 but i do have a cheap generic OBDII reader: it just gives me the codes, not what the codes mean.

Yes i have RPM signal as the RPM gauge works as does the other gauges except the fuel gauge, but that another issue.

The car start and drives fine but there is a howling from the rear of the vehicle which I think is a wheel bearing going or is gone. I'm not sure which side is gone. Would the wheel bearing being gone have anything to do with the speedometer and odometer suddenly stop working?The ABS light is on in the dash, and the traction control, and stability control lights are on in the SIC they just say there's a malfunction.

Am i right to assume that all these issues are all because of the wheel bearings either both rear ones or one or the other?

I don't have a garage to work on the car; I'll be doing it in my driveway in the snow and slush as it winter her in Canada and its -3c so i want to be sure what's going on before i get down and start crawling in the snow and slush.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i don't have a tech2 but i do have a cheap generic OBDII reader: it just gives me the codes, not what the codes mean.

Yes i have RPM signal as the RPM gauge works as does the other gauges except the fuel gauge, but that another issue.

The car start and drives fine but there is a howling from the rear of the vehicle which I think is a wheel bearing going or is gone. I'm not sure which side is gone. Would the wheel bearing being gone have anything to do with the speedometer and odometer suddenly stop working?The ABS light is on in the dash, and the traction control, and stability control lights are on in the SIC they just say there's a malfunction.

Am i right to assume that all these issues are all because of the wheel bearings either both rear ones or one or the other?

I don't have a garage to work on the car; I'll be doing it in my driveway in the snow and slush as it winter her in Canada and its -3c so i want to be sure what's going on before i get down and start crawling in the snow and slush.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Oh; one other thing, i don't know if it's related or not; but, when i put the car in reverse and start to back up and i lightly apply the brakes there is a grinding sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. I've just always thought it was just because the pads and rotors where damp or wet as I've only noticed it when it rained and first thing in the morning. The grinding sound doesn't happen when driving forward or any other time during the day and only when I'm backing up and i lightly apply the brakes. Is this all related to the wheel bearing being bad?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Speedo receives speed signal from rear wheel ABS sensor.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Actually all, but speedo uses rear wheels signals.
Yes, raise and rotate wheels with hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts