SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does this happen?:

You pull up to traffic lights as they're on red.

You sit there - they go green...you then go for first gear - and hey its gone!

Completely vanished! Just like someone has stolen it!

You sit there fishing for it - pushing to the left and up. Pushing diagonally up and left - eventually you find it - and hey your too late.... the lights have gone red again.

Drives me crazy - reverse is just as bad!

What's up with this gearbox! It's worse than my Alfa 164!

The rest of the car's great though!

Cheers

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Two things springs to mind.... worn gear linkage which just needs adjustment, or the gearbox achilles heels; syncromesh on 1st and reverse has gone. :( Go and see uncle Wes seeing as you live in Nottingham good sir,
Little John ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Same thing happened to m Aero at about 64k miles, reverse was impossible to get most of the time, which is handy for getting the key out. Basically the gearbox was sh*gged and needed a total strip down and rebuild. Wes also put a Saab gearbox update kit in the box while he was doing it, he's the man for the job if your in the Notts area.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice humour!

The problem is - it's one of those issues that happens every so often - and when it does - it's really annoying - but most of the time it's fine.

Although - my wife did come in the house the other day and say - "the car's outside and I can't get it in reverse!" - arrr - you gotta love 'em!!! ;)

Wes is great - I took the car to him when I first got it - after my episode with the cars first 'thrashing' (not by me - I add!). Anyway - he gave me some real good honest advice - and I'll definately be taking the car to him for any 'proper' work that it may need!

Cheers

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
RobinHood said:
Wes is great - he gave me some real good honest advice - and I'll definately be taking the car to him for any 'proper' work that it may need! Cheers
hercules said:
he's the man for the job if your in the Notts area.
All true but dont you think those Saab underpants on the outside of his overalls and the big "S" on his chest look daft? :p

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
RobinHood said:
Why does this happen?:

You pull up to traffic lights as they're on red.

You sit there - they go green...you then go for first gear - and hey its gone!

Completely vanished! Just like someone has stolen it!

You sit there fishing for it - pushing to the left and up. Pushing diagonally up and left - eventually you find it - and hey your too late.... the lights have gone red again.

Drives me crazy - reverse is just as bad!

What's up with this gearbox! It's worse than my Alfa 164!

The rest of the car's great though!

Cheers
yeah, that's happened to me before. i just press the cluth twice, and i can get back into gear. it happens to me sometimes when im waiting for a light.

cheers love,
~MIke

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm guessing that the gear linkage is not to expensive to adjust - but as for the syncromesh - is that a part replacement - with expensive labour?

Wondered - because if it gets to irritating I might consider having it done.

Cheers

·
Registered
289 Posts
As much as I hate to be the purveyor of doom Rob, it aint gonna be the linkage. It's showing the same symptoms mine did, and it'll get worse and more irritating. It's a 'box out job, strip down and rebuild. It lightend my wallet to the tune of many hundred groats.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I suspect its a case of doing sooner rather than later. If you damage the cogs in the box trying to get a gear it will end up more money. I remember Dave saying gearboxes are Wessy's speciality. :cool:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would give him a call ASAP as Kermit said you will end up doing more damage.Wes has vast experience on gearboxes so that wont be a problem,the only problem will be getting booked in I think. Are you still mad busy Wes? Or is the tag of Superman begining to slow you down a touch!!
Best of luck Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts