SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

HELP!!!

So I have a 9-3 that out of the blue decided it doesn't want to start. It has happened several times in the last week. The first time it happened was I went to the store and came out 30-45min later and when i got into the car and put the key in I had warning message about my traction control system etc... I tried to start the car and it would not start, it would turn over to my hearts content but would not start. I removed the battery and crossed the positive and negative together (to reset the ECU). And after this the car started up just fine and drove just fine etc...

It happened again a few days later but this time there was no alert messages about traction control system or anything. Car would just turn over but would not start. I tried the battery trick again multiple times etc.. and nothing helped. So I just left the battery unplugged and left and went to get lunch etc... after about 1 hour i came back and the car started right up with no issues.

I am wondering whats going? First thought is CPS (Crank Position Sensor) except for the fact that the car turns over just fine but does not start. When I called the local dealership (that now had the SAAB service contract) they said the same thing that its the CPS and for me to bring it over.

My buddy at work connected his OBD II reader and it did not produce any codes (but the car was starting fine at time point).

I have to drive to my in-laws for Christmas (300 miles) and a little worried about doing so with not being sure whats going on. Also I don't just want the dealer to replace the CPS and then find out that its not the issue.

If the CPS is going out would the car turn over? Is there any other known issues with the same symptoms?

When the car starts up it drives fine with smooth engine running etc...

Thank you,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello All,

HELP!!!

So I have a 9-3 that out of the blue decided it doesn't want to start. It has happened several times in the last week. The first time it happened was I went to the store and came out 30-45min later and when i got into the car and put the key in I had warning message about my traction control system etc... I tried to start the car and it would not start, it would turn over to my hearts content but would not start. I removed the battery and crossed the positive and negative together (to reset the ECU). And after this the car started up just fine and drove just fine etc...

It happened again a few days later but this time there was no alert messages about traction control system or anything. Car would just turn over but would not start. I tried the battery trick again multiple times etc.. and nothing helped. So I just left the battery unplugged and left and went to get lunch etc... after about 1 hour i came back and the car started right up with no issues.

I am wondering whats going? First thought is CPS (Crank Position Sensor) except for the fact that the car turns over just fine but does not start. When I called the local dealership (that now had the SAAB service contract) they said the same thing that its the CPS and for me to bring it over.

My buddy at work connected his OBD II reader and it did not produce any codes (but the car was starting fine at time point).

I have to drive to my in-laws for Christmas (300 miles) and a little worried about doing so with not being sure whats going on. Also I don't just want the dealer to replace the CPS and then find out that its not the issue.

If the CPS is going out would the car turn over? Is there any other known issues with the same symptoms?

When the car starts up it drives fine with smooth engine running etc...

Thank you,
How old is the battery? May want to get that checked out- Saabs love eating up batteries.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Its the battery. Replace it, if it's not putting out consistent 100% power then it will give you strange problems like your experiencing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the battery is only about 2 years old, and terminals look ok. But I'll check it tonight to see if its full power. If not could my alternator be going out? Because battery is not that old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the battery. Replace it, if it's not putting out consistent 100% power then it will give you strange problems like your experiencing
Its not the battery… I tested the battery today and car is idling at 14.3-14.5 volt s. Shut off the battery is reading 12.5 volts.

So I don't think its the battery.

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Might as well try the CPS. Could be a bad ground? Check under the battery tray.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd say with 90% certainty that it is the battery. My 06 ate batteries like kids eat candy. Fixed all my issues after replacement.

Literally, I was killing batteries within a year haha.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Don't really care what it's reading, at least 100 people have told me it's not the battery... guess what happened.

You probably have a bad cell or two, which your handy tester won't be able to tell.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't really care what it's reading, at least 100 people have told me it's not the battery... guess what happened.

You probably have a bad cell or two, which your handy tester won't be able to tell.
And honestly, if it's a cell going dead not one that IS dead it will drain very slowly. Literally it may seem fine until you actually go to turn the engine over and right as it pulls that power you don't have enough to support the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts