SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a 1998 SAAB 95 - have had a great week of driving - although there was a little "power slippage" but I have just bought it as a cruiser.

This morning i noticed the temp gauge gets up to half quite quickly, and the power doesnt seem to be applying through to the drive train - it barely gets up a hill at all.

Have had a look for obvious vacuum leaks, anything staring me in the face. Went for another drive tonight - same thing - and it gets up to operating temp very quickly.

Any ideas?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It is an automatic - reverse engages fine and is powered fine, put it in drive and its very slow to take off - struggles to get up a hill. No idea about the boost etc - as far as I know - and reading through the extensive service history that it has - it is completely stock.

Its my first time with a SAAB - previously had a V70 Volvo.

No other symptoms that I can detect - aside from the fact that the car seems to warm up to half way on the temp gauge pretty quickly - although it is a warm climate here.

No smoke, no real leaks or anything I can detect - just some oil weeping near the head - havent had a good look but it doesnt look severe - it doesnt spot on the driveway.

· Registered
72 Posts
as for the going up hills slowly i would suggest taking at the basics, look at the plug and then giving the maf a good cleaning. I had these symptoms a couple years back(minus the engine temp) and changed the plugs and cleaned the maf and it was back to normal for me. If that doesn't help the sluggishness then it might be something more complicated that other on here can help with. Good Luck.

· Registered
620 Posts
- Check your coolant lines and make sure they're all getting hot. Rapid warming could be a sign of a weak water pump or a closed t-stat maybe. Clogged section of the coolant flow is also possible. Check all 4 hoses and see if they're all hot. If not then your coolant isn't flowing properly and you need to find out why.

- Do a tuneup and make sure you've got good air and fuel flow, the right plugs, etc.

- Check for vacuum leaks and repair as needed. Might be a good idea to just rerun the vacuum hoses anyway at that vintage.

· Registered
319 Posts
it hasn't gone into limp home mode has it, although this will throw a code, check when you turn on the ignition that all the lights are active especially the CEL, have you checked the trans oil to make sure you've got enough in there? these cars usually get up to temp relatively quickly i geuss mine is up to temp in the first 2km

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

SO I managed to spend a few hours on the weekend having a look - the engine seems to be running pretty well - put the car in nuetral and it starts, revs, idles fine.

Cannot seem to find any vacuum leaks, or anything else wrong with it.

Put it in reverse and it is fine, but when the car is put into first gear its as if the clutch is slipping - it wont get up my driveway without a run-up - and is VERY slow to take off. Once I get up above about 60 km/ph it is better, a little sluggish and out on the freeway it just cruises along fine.

So is the likely culprit a slipping clutch on an automatic?

· Registered
8,043 Posts
Sure sounds like a transmission issue. Does it change if you put the transmission into "winter" mode? (that forces the transmission to start in a higher gear)

First suggestion always is to do a 3x change of the oil. yours is Dextron III. Drain, fill, drive a few minutes, repeat twice.

After that you get into things in the transmission. If it works in winter mode then I'd suspect the clutches or a band that enables first gear. If it doesn't work in winter mode I'd suspect that you have a bad torque converter or maybe the line pressure solenoid is acting up and the pressure to hold the clutches/ bands is not high enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.