SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Wednesday night I come out and go to my car, I had driven to work and had the car sit there in full sun @ 90 F from 9:50 to 5:20. Needless to say when I got out there I opened up the 2 front windows, sunroof, and cracked open the rear windows. Bad Idea!!! I noticed as I had got to the highway I rolled up all my windows the right rear window wasn't going up. I lowered it thinking the control was sticking then hit up. It went up a lil bit then at the stop sign I watched it go THHHHHHHHHHHHHUMP!!! all the way down. I took it apart as soon as I got home and got armed with how-to info from here. I got it off alright for the most part. The thing that didn't go right was a mistake I'm not happy about. The triangle piece of plastic that is near the rear of the window broke off. I'm slightly OCD on a car's appearance so this just pissed me off. But once I got the door panel off I noticed the window motor moved fine but it was completely dislacthed from the window. The bottom plastic white arrow piece broke off. I spent 3 hrs on the the night before I moved in @ college. ARGH. I need to get this fixed as soon as possible as I'm broke and I need to get to my job interview located 20 minutes away. So what part needs a replacement? (including the plastic trim to satisfy my OCDness) Can someone do a huge favor and take lots of pictures and writeup a tutorial? Something like this? This is a similar problem only my lower tab of junk plastic broke. I dont wanna have to replace the whole unit like this, and my travel distance is nill at college so no junkyards, so I'm gonna need a Internet Part shipment. Any tips?

Please Help?!?!?!?!?

I need this job, as it pays $11 an hour with 25% commission.

Dylan S.

PS. The only upside was my mom had to drive me up to UWGB and my gf could help me move in cas, If i had driven she would of had to wait for my dad to finish work and drive her and the rest of family home after they were through shopping. That would made her late to her Vball game. So I guess my SAAB isn't total satan spawn ATM. But its about 75%.......

·
Registered
21,583 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the green rollers. At least ID think. The motor has full motion except the window is not attached. I hyperlinked to a guy who has a similar problem in my first post check it out and let me know what you think. I cant do the duct tape as it's Green Bay and it will sit in a questionable secured parking lot. I don't saran wrap and duct tape advertising my Saab's security weakness.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found out (Need WIS)

my dad's coming up to GB tomorrow. That give a temporary mobility for finding parts and if I get the part # I need tonight/morning I can pick it up in Appleton. SOOO If someone can be a godsave and name that part, that would be great. Cas that way I could go pickup the part and go home and fix my car allowing me to do it sooner rather then in 2 wks. This would allow me to get a job, stop by a scrouge for food at the rents house, wish them a happy ann. AND attend my gf's homecoming dance. (Takes a deep breath) So please anyone with a WIS pleas help, that would be great.....

I'm going to bed, it's 2:10 am here, at least I don't have class till 11am.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found one for 75 with a good motor from a reputable repair shop compared to what the dealer wanted for one without a motor. They ONLY wanted 350..... yeah college kids are made of that money. Anyone done the replacement procedure before? I need some help I'll be sure to take pics to help people in the future like me. PM me if you would like to help but dont feel like posting. Please help me install it. Anyone know how to pop out rivets? What size rivets do I need, and how many? Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Sleepy, you may be able to replace the rivets with very, very short screws; but, IMO, the pop rivets are better. And you will not know the size until the hole is exposed....unless some man here remembers the hole size....

I use a # 40 to a #10 drill bit, depending on the rivet size. Or you can use a pin punch to force out the rivet center section...

·
Super Moderator
11,177 Posts
The part number you need is highlighted in blue:

SaabSite:
93 98-03 Regulator Rear 5 Dr Passenger AFT - 5184908 - $245.84
http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/catimages/windowregulator.jpg93 98-03 Regulator Rear 5 Dr Passenger OES - 5184908 - $360.84

Obviously, getting one from a salvage yard will be a better bet for affordability, as has been previously stated.

When you buy a pop rivet tool, you should get one with a selection of rivets of varying lengths and diameters. If you get a decent one, you can use steel rivets that will not fatigue quickly like aluminum ones do.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have a friend's riveter I'm borrowing but I'm gonna need to buy an assortment of steel rivets. Has anyone ever done this before on the forum so I don't feel like I'm adventuring into new territory. Regardless I'm taking lots of pictures just so others can benefit from my hellish experience.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'd use aluminum. Steel rivets may require a hydraulic riveter ($hundreds$)....Or you could use screws and nuts if possible and the room exists...

Use 3/16" aluminum, but you may have to open the hole a little....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
earthworm
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing