SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all can any one tell me what the bottle in the boot/trunk is for it seems mine is not conected my car c900 convertible thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
If its a while ribbed bottle on the left side. I believe its the charcoal canester. for collecting fuel vapors or something.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If it is the white, ribbed plastic bottle and it's behind your spare then it's the air resevoir that stores pressure for your heater controls, it's got nothing to do with the operation of the roof (that's all under the rear seat). If nothing is connected to it I bet you're not getting a hissing sound when you change your heater distribution settings. If you don't, fish around and look for a vacuum hose, its probably been knocked off and is lying underneath the bottle.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
davidlytle said:
If its a while ribbed bottle on the left side. I believe its the charcoal canester. for collecting fuel vapors or something.
Did we have those on UK cars? Don't think so.

If it is the white, ribbed plastic bottle and it's behind your spare then it's the air resevoir that stores pressure for your heater controls,
<looks surprised> Mine's in the RHF inner wing, behind the wheel arch, in front of the door hinges.

They moved it to the boot? The vac piping must be a *mare*. Unless it's a spare bottle that's been left in there...

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Backing Phil , Its the air tank for VAC controls .

I dont own a vert , but I know Phil does Also 110 % sure he would know where his air tank is ,

I have read somewhere they were located in the rear oppsosed to what us Non Vert drivers are used to ( inner guard )

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Matthew said:
UK Lucas-equipped have them. It's called the Evaporative Loss Control Device (ELCD). It's a black can which lives in the left-hand outer wing space (where the cruise control pump is).
Oooh. I'll have a rummage. Does it ever need emptying or cleaning or anything?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
AUSSIE900 said:
I have read somewhere they were located in the rear oppsosed to what us Non Vert drivers are used to ( inner guard )
Don't get me wrong - I wasn't doubting Phil. It just seems a surprise that they'd shift it for the 'vert - as I said, the plumbing must be a mile long. Did something vert-specific go there? Shell bracing, p'raps?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Not at all cv's , knew u werent doubting , just wanted to be sure *new poster * was left without doubts or confusion .

That it is

A) the vac cannister

B) it can live in the boot ( so it seems ) on verts

I agree totally re what a nigtmare , all that hose , still no worse than rear wiper water hose .

MAYBE WE COULD START A PROJECT ,,along the lines of battery relocation ...

I WANT to relocte MY vacumn cannister to the boot !!!! performance mod number 453 .

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Saab did move the vacuum reservoir on the verts. I remember PhilB saying there was bracing down there somewhere.

TooMany2cvs said:
Oooh. I'll have a rummage. Does it ever need emptying or cleaning or anything?
Replacement of the charcoal elements is part of the service regime, but no-one ever does it. You can find the 900 service schedules here:
http://www.hexfiles.com/saabcentral/c900_service_schedules/

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
AUSSIE900 said:
Backing Phil , Its the air tank for VAC controls .

I dont own a vert , but I know Phil does Also 110 % sure he would know where his air tank is ,

Thanks chum!

You're right, I answered with such sureity as I had managed to find mine lurking there in the boot.

Yes there is bracing on a vert where the cannister would normally be on a hardtop.

·
4,637 Posts
philjohnhb said:
If it is the white, ribbed plastic bottle and it's behind your spare then it's the air resevoir that stores pressure for your heater controls
Actually, it's full of nothing. It's a vacuum reservoir for the heater controls. It gets filled up with vacuum when the throttle is closed and the engine is running and then it lets vacuum out to the heater controls when you turn the distribution knob. The ribs are to keep the vacuum in 'cos it would collapse otherwise...

Ok, ok. It actually gets air sucked out of it by the engine and the heater controls let air into it while activating...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
cdaly said:
Actually, it's full of nothing. It's a vacuum reservoir for the heater controls. It gets filled up with vacuum when the throttle is closed and the engine is running and then it lets vacuum out to the heater controls when you turn the distribution knob. The ribs are to keep the vacuum in 'cos it would collapse otherwise...

Ok, ok. It actually gets air sucked out of it by the engine and the heater controls let air into it while activating...
Well said, quite right.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The flaps in the vent system divert air flow to different areas of the car. The flaps are driven by pneumatic actuators (a rod connected to a diaphragm, housed in a metal capsule) from engine manifold vacuum.

When you turn the air flow distribution control you'll hear a pishhh/thunk - those are the vacuum actuators opening and closing the vents. It's one of the coolest sounds on the planet and guaranteed to impress your passengers :D :cool: :cheesy:

On a turbo car you can't always rely on manifold vacuum (well, at least if you're driving it properly - if not, buy an NA!). The reservoir addresses that problem.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Matthew said:
It's one of the coolest sounds on the planet and guaranteed to impress your passengers :D :cool: :cheesy:
Hmm. I find it normally gets a funny look and maybe a "Umm, is it meant to...?"

On a turbo car you can't always rely on manifold vacuum (well, at least if you're driving it properly - if not, buy an NA!). The reservoir addresses that problem.
Heh...

I've found on quite a few occasions that the reservoir on mine seems to be empty - no pssshhhht, and it takes a moment or three for the air to change direction. Leak? Or not sucking hard enough? Everything always works properly - it's just sometimes a bit more "eventually..."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bottle in boot/trunk

thank you everyone ive noticed a pipe missing off the bottle only one connected also i see that it has 2 wires conected a green and red dont know what there for my heaters do make the hissing sound but work great in fact they,r too hot once again thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 24 Posts