SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 9-5 aero 2.3 5 spd manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for somebody with a tech 2 and knowledge about a 2002 9-5 aero ignition and key swap , the original was stolen a few nights ago so I have to marry a new key to and ignition to my 9-5 and I am lost, will compensate for your time

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you have a second key there is a method. Obtain (ebay etc.) another key cylinder with key. Use the current key to extract the lock cylinder (for which there are youtube videos, and the method is in www.saabwisonline.com), insert new cylinder, take electronics out of your existing key, transplant to the new key, and the car doesn't know any different. In effect its just a physical key+cylinder change, and the car's TWICE (the security ECU under the seat) sees the original key electronic module. Of course you now have an ignition key different from the other locks, but no Tech 2 is required.

If you don't have a second original key, it will be a major operation to get the old key cylinder out (because the key has to be rotated to the OFF position to release the cylinder from the barrel). You could get a replacement key cut based on the VIN. This at least allows you to extract the cylinder. You'd have to get an alien key to contribute it's electronic module for the newly cut key, but you'd also need to get its matching TWICE because you can't marry an alien key module to the TWICE without one of the original keys present.

The TWICE is paired to the original keys which is why you sometimes see the TWICE + key modules for sale together, not necessarily including the key blade + cylinder.

I did sell a TWICE on its own to someone recently, I warned him of the pitfalls, and he claimed to have a way to match a TWICE with an alien key, without the TWICE's original key module being present, but that's beyond me.

·
Registered
2002 9-5 aero 2.3 5 spd manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a second key there is a method. Obtain (ebay etc.) another key cylinder with key. Use the current key to extract the lock cylinder (for which there are youtube videos, and the method is in www.saabwisonline.com), insert new cylinder, take electronics out of your existing key, transplant to the new key, and the car doesn't know any different. In effect its just a physical key+cylinder change, and the car's TWICE (the security ECU under the seat) sees the original key electronic module. Of course you now have an ignition key different from the other locks, but no Tech 2 is required.

If you don't have a second original key, it will be a major operation to get the old key cylinder out (because the key has to be rotated to the OFF position to release the cylinder from the barrel). You could get a replacement key cut based on the VIN. This at least allows you to extract the cylinder. You'd have to get an alien key to contribute it's electronic module for the newly cut key, but you'd also need to get its matching TWICE because you can't marry an alien key module to the TWICE without one of the original keys present.

The TWICE is paired to the original keys which is why you sometimes see the TWICE + key modules for sale together, not necessarily including the key blade + cylinder.

I did sell a TWICE on its own to someone recently, I warned him of the pitfalls, and he claimed to have a way to match a TWICE with an alien key, without the TWICE's original key module being present, but that's beyond me.
Thanks Doug for the quick response, unfortunately I don’t have an original key as the car only came with the one when I bought it

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
Maybe you can find someone with a TECH2 close to you here:

or here:

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
If you do not have any working keys, you NEED TWICE with paired key and TECH2.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
As others have said you need to get a TWICE with at least one key that is already married to it or you're going to have to go to a site like lastsaabkeys.com who will take your TWICE and marry a key to it for $700

I have a used TWICE with two Type 2 keys and one Type 1 key married to it. you can have those for $250. What you do is then:

1: go to eeuroparts.com and order two new key blades cut to your VIN. They're about $50 each now you can turn the ignition switch on (you do not have to change the cylinder)
2: buy my TWICE and two type 2 keys, take the guts out of my keys and put them in your new keys.
3: find someone with a Tech 2 (see Tech 2 location thread here). you're going to have to have them come to you or have the car towed there. Now you can at least get the car into neutral to get it towed.
4: Swap the TWICE into the car, marry the TWICE to the car using the Tech 2.

now the car will start since the keys are already married to the car. The extra type 1 key is also married but won't turn your ignition switch. But if you lose both of your Type 2 keys again you can still "get back in" to program new keys into the car by using that type 1. Keep it in the glove box.

PM me if you're interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts