SaabCentral Forums banner

Help please 2000 9-5 aero

472 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  qwikredline
hello, new to saab's

so i bought a 2000 saab 9-5 aero turbo 5 speed, car ran amazing, then it started to have problems. now the car just turns over, so i went and replaced the coil pack, the car stated back up. ran and drove i shut it off in a parking lot and it would not start back up, it cranks but wont start. the car is getting fuel, if the car sits for a week or so i can go out side and turn the key and will start, but if i drive the car and stop at a gas station and go to start the car back up it just cranks any ideas whats wrong ? ive had the car towed 3 times and its starting to get frustrating. i also had replaced the starter please if any one can help me out
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8,043 Posts
classic symptoms of the crankshaft position sensor (CPS)

It's a small sensor that is on the front of the block just behind the first catalytic converter. It's held in with a single torx screw and has a wire that is snaked to the back of the engine just next to the throttle body.

The usual symptoms of failure is that the car will start when cold but will not start when hot. If you let the car cool down it'll start again. Eventually though it will leave you stranded with a no-start, no-way.

The part is about $65 and you can install it yourself in about an hour or so if it's your first time. I like doing it from the bottom but others take it out from the top. the only thing to remember is that the new one comes with an O-ring and the old one usually does not come out of the block with its O-ring on. If you put it back together with two O-rings the car won't start since the sensor won't seat close enough to the sensing wheel inside. Remember to search for the original O-ring and remove it.

· Registered
6,506 Posts
classic symptoms of the crankshaft position sensor (CPS)

It's a small sensor that is on the front of the block just behind the first catalytic converter. It's held in with a single torx screw and has a wire that is snaked to the back of the engine just next to the throttle body.

The usual symptoms of failure is that the car will start when cold but will not start when hot. If you let the car cool down it'll start again. Eventually though it will leave you stranded with a no-start, no-way.

The part is about $65 and you can install it yourself in about an hour or so if it's your first time. I like doing it from the bottom but others take it out from the top. the only thing to remember is that the new one comes with an O-ring and the old one usually does not come out of the block with its O-ring on. If you put it back together with two O-rings the car won't start since the sensor won't seat close enough to the sensing wheel inside. Remember to search for the original O-ring and remove it.
Good description. Say u wont go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.