SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

my name is vick. im new to this forum. im actually posting about my sister's 07 saab 9-3 aero. they broke into it yesterday while she was at work. they broke the passenger side window and stole her ipod. i called the dealer for a quote to replace the window and they said $400. fine. not bad considering its a bit of labor and she needed the car asap. we took it in this morning and now theyre saying that they need to replace the entire door because the guys who broke in used a crowbar or a screw driver to pry it open from the b-pillar trim and now the trim is bent (run on sentence sorry :cheesy: ). i think thats total bs! is any of it true?? has anyone experienced anyhitng like this??

tia
vick

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
First of all, welcome to the club. On to business at hand, it depends without seeing any pictures. It is possible, if the thieves tried break into the car by forcing the door open without breaking the window.

I would personally ask to see the damage and compare it to a new car. Breaking a window will not cause the B-pillar frame to bend.....

Paul

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I'm sure you have comprehensive on an 07, if you have a a 500 deductable it's only a hundred more your gonna pay. No glass coverage? ....if your deductable is 250 you would be saving 150 against the 400. thats why we have insurance...

I don't know how reputable your dealer is, but that bent door sounds a bit far fetched to be fictionalized. As stated ask to see it, if it is damaged ask if it would be cheaper to have a body shop repair it, Maybe not though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jonv: the deducable for conprehensive is $1000 thats why we opted to go w/o insurance. i have to double check on the glass coverage.

it doesnt seem like they tried to pry the door open. they went straight for the glass..

pics...(only one of the exterior she took)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
That looks like just the b-frame cover is bent, which should be replacable. I can't see why the entire door has to be replaced. Any other experts in this group that could offer more insight. I think this piece can be replaced without replacing the door...

Paul

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
^^ what he said...

IMO paying for a 250 or 500 deductable is not terribly more expensive and well worth it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
brunp said:
That looks like just the b-frame cover is bent, which should be replacable. I can't see why the entire door has to be replaced. Any other experts in this group that could offer more insight. I think this piece can be replaced without replacing the door...

Paul
The B-pillar part of the door is all one piece with the rest of the door. If the door is bent beyond the superficial black trim (which it looks like it is), then the window track and seal will NEVER work correctly, and you will always have problems with leakage and/or the window will not go up and down correctly.

Also, what about water damage to the interior? Do you need a new leather seat??

I would get her insurance agent on the phone ASAP, and get a police report. The Saab list price for a new door is $949.00 + dealer markup, so you are looking at $1000 for a door + $400 new glass + about $200 window seals + around $500 to paint the new door + at least $500 labor to remove and replace the door and swap out the door panels, mirror, lock mechanism, wiring, etc from the old door to the new door, so repair costs will be at least $2600 + repair of any water damage to the interior.

Sorry about what happened, that sucks. I've had 2 cars broken into over the years, and both times I had to eat the $500 deductable to get them fixed. Just be thankful they didn't take a crowbar to the dashboard to get the radio out (been there, done that on one of my cars, 2 times!).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tint your window please to may avoid this.

Since my underground parking had 20 cars window broken this March.
The only cars were not involve, they got tint windows.

acidrane said:
Jonv: the deducable for conprehensive is $1000 thats why we opted to go w/o insurance. i have to double check on the glass coverage.

it doesnt seem like they tried to pry the door open. they went straight for the glass..

pics...(only one of the exterior she took)

·
Registered
759 Posts
new92xowner said:
How stupid is that? All that damage for a stupid iPod.
No kidding. I guess since stereo theves can't really steal most car stereos anymore b/c security codes and computerized recognition (marriage/divorceing required), I guess they are going for items left in plain sight instead. :(

I'll start keeping my iPod hidden from now on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts