SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! met some of you at Carlisle and most of you have seen my car on here. when i was at Carlisle i swapped my stock intake box for a DIY open air intake utilizing the stock air box neck and MAF. the issue im having (which i did search for on here with no results) is that since the install i'm getting crazy over boost! with the stock setup it would only boost 10PSI max. oh and yes i do have a good working boost gauge installed. now it boosts to 12PSI in 1st through 3rd gear, 4th around 14PSI, and 5th/6th is between 15-16PSI. i have no check engine light, no wierd noises, and no misfires or anything.

has anyone ever experienced this?! it seems wierd that suddenly the boost goes crazy seeing as the ECU should step in and correct it. im worried that im hurting the car or that it may be running lean.... i have no access to a wideband which would really be helpful right now.

any and all comments or advice is welcome!

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Just adding info cuz im curious too, hes got a 2011 and he swapped with an 04 maf.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just adding info cuz im curious too, hes got a 2011 and he swapped with an 04 maf.

i actually did some research on that too. they never changed the MAF on the 2.0 from 03-11, it was the same no matter what trim level or turbo.

·
Registered
609 Posts
hey everyone! met some of you at Carlisle and most of you have seen my car on here. when i was at Carlisle i swapped my stock intake box for a DIY open air intake utilizing the stock air box neck and MAF. the issue im having (which i did search for on here with no results) is that since the install i'm getting crazy over boost! with the stock setup it would only boost 10PSI max. oh and yes i do have a good working boost gauge installed. now it boosts to 12PSI in 1st through 3rd gear, 4th around 14PSI, and 5th/6th is between 15-16PSI. i have no check engine light, no wierd noises, and no misfires or anything.

has anyone ever experienced this?! it seems wierd that suddenly the boost goes crazy seeing as the ECU should step in and correct it. im worried that im hurting the car or that it may be running lean.... i have no access to a wideband which would really be helpful right now.

I have nothing to say about the increase in psi, But you are fine air/fuel wise. The car stock is so crazy rich.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

the turbo "should" be boosting .8Bar (12.x psi) its entirely possible that the car is requesting a certain amount of air that the lower boost is not providing (low rpm, high load) and is starting to boost more to meet those requirements.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the turbo "should" be boosting .8Bar (12.x psi) its entirely possible that the car is requesting a certain amount of air that the lower boost is not providing (low rpm, high load) and is starting to boost more to meet those requirements.
well that would be understandable but it spikes and holds at the listed boost levels above right to redline. its not like a quick spike and then falls back. i could understand that but its consistant and why wouldnt this happen with the stock intake?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
well that would be understandable but it spikes and holds at the listed boost levels above right to redline. its not like a quick spike and then falls back. i could understand that but its consistant and why wouldnt this happen with the stock intake?
when does it drop back down? because with such a tiny turbo you can over spool it and loose boost at a certain point. what could be happening is you are hitting the peak boost and then you start to over spool and it falls back down.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I am in the process of swapping my intake out because Fredrik from Maptun suggest that open air intakes really screw with the car and its calculations for airflow and such.

Before I do that (doing this tonight) I am taking temp readings of inside and outside the car to see what actually is the difference IF any between Open air and closed airbox

Temp readings will be taken both at Idle and at cruising speed.

Doing this literally in 20 minutes haha.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I am in the process of swapping my intake out because Fredrik from Maptun suggest that open air intakes really screw with the car and its calculations for airflow and such.

Before I do that (doing this tonight) I am taking temp readings of inside and outside the car to see what actually is the difference IF any between Open air and closed airbox

Temp readings will be taken both at Idle and at cruising speed.

Doing this literally in 20 minutes haha.
I noticed actually an increase in air mass flow over the stock box, though temperatures were about the same post intercooler. The open filter gets hotter at idle than the stock box. The if it is causing a problem, you would see it in the fuel trims which on my car are within the normal range.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Outside Temp at idle

Sensor: 75F
Phone: 73F

Driving, the outside temp read 73 to 75.

HP Tuners logged a outside temp range of 88 to about 102

With Airbox
Outside temp is 73
Phone is 70

Outside temp did not range was about 73 degrees

HP Tuners Logged 79 to about 102 degrees as well,

Idle temps were a LOT Lower while driving temps were about the same under WOT but normal driving were lower as well.

I have also logged MAF Load and It is more with the stock airbox.

Again diff motors but I am starting to think that CAI's just make Saabs run like crap lol at least the newer ones. My car has finally returned to normal running state with solid fuel trims and nothing crazy like before.

Keeping it off for sure.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
K1llshorty- post a picture of your cai, I'm curious how much pipe was left up stream of the MAF.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Its a 4 or 5 in section of 3in eithe aluminum or stainless that i sawed off a civic intake. Theres a k&n filter on one end and the other has a 3 to 2.25 in silicone adapter, and then there is the stock maf peice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its a 4 or 5 in section of 3in eithe aluminum or stainless that i sawed off a civic intake. Theres a k&n filter on one end and the other has a 3 to 2.25 in silicone adapter, and then there is the stock maf peice.

i think he is refering to just the MAF housing piece

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
The maf peice is as long as you can make it and i cut the notch in the bottom of the pipe so the silicon hose would sit flush an create a good seal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts