SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Purchased a 2007 9-5 Aero Wagon w/140k over a month ago and have been fixing it up. No maintenance records so trying to bring it to stage 0 and replace all parts to would probably have worn out by this time. (My 3rd Saab.)

Have a question on the plastic air intake tube that connects to the throttle body and the plastic hose connector I assume for brake booster hoses. (Was replacing all my vacuum hoses with red silicone ones and saw this.)

Do not know what really connects to this plastic hose connector - Image 1 so not sure of the hose connection around that area. Have looked at esaabparts diagrams but it does not show how it all connects so need some help from the community. I assume brake booster hoses of some sort.

From the other 2 attached images, you can see the previous owner rigged to bypass it - Image 2 and 3 but left that connector open, and it is blowing out air during idle so there is a vacuum leak though no engine lights or codes. Have plugged it up temporarily until this is figured out.

My questions are what parts do I need to get it back to stock?

And where does those parts connect? Pictures would be helpful.

Or is it okay how it is with the plastic hose connector plugged up and the way it is rigged? And do nothing.

And should I purchase and install new brake booster hoses as I see eeuroparts only has it for $16: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/71043/Brake-Booster-Vacuum-Hose-Auto-Trans-52341095/

And any other parts you might suggest replacing.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, mine is an auto. On my 2003 9-5 Aero, that connector on the air intake tube was not there so was a bit confused especially when I saw the person on Trionic 7 video had this.

Strange that Saab did not plug this up as it seems like there is some air coming out of there or at least it felt like it when I checked. It was of course close to 100 degrees out here so could have been something else.

I believe the previous owner did rigged the brake booster hose and removed a check valve. Going to purchase a new one and put it in and see how that goes.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
My guess is that they accidentally broke the hard plastic vacuum line and what you're seeing is their attempt to fix it. It looks like they actually did a decent job. If you put any pressure on that vacuum pipe, it tends to snap off at one of the check valve connections.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Your brake booster 'hose' should have three legs with two check valves and the third leg should go to the mechanical vacuum pump on the transmission side of the valve cover / cylinder head (driver's end of engine for LHD cars in U.S.). From the pictures I can't quite tell whether that third leg and 2nd check valve are there or not. I agree that the repair splice looks rather carefully done.

If you purchase a new brake vacuum pipe, avoid ProParts. It's a fragile enough part anyway, and I have seen several posts regarding rapid failure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the advice.

Yes, it seems like one of the check valve is missing so best get another one.

The proparts one is definitely less expensive and hope it will get another 100k miles.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice.

Yes, it seems like one of the check valve is missing so best get another one.

The proparts one is definitely less expensive and hope it will get another 100k miles.
Do NOT get the ProParts hard line. There are some things on these cars that you just don't skimp out on, and that's one of them. Unless you want to keep replacing it prematurely.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Do NOT get the ProParts hard line. There some things on these cars that you just don't skimp out on, and that's one of them. Unless you want to keep replacing it prematurely.
To add to this: Do you have a GM dealer around? I broke my brake booster hose when messing with vacuum lines, and I didn't feel like waiting for it to be shipped. The car ran really rough with the booster hose broken (almost felt like the engine was going to die) so I just wanted it fixed asap as I had to drive to work the following Monday. So I called up a Cadillac dealer and they had it, and it was actually a few bucks less than eEuroparts (this is NOT usually the case). So call around if you have some GM dealers around. Definitely go OEM for this hose as Nocturne said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts