SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,

It makes me worry ...
After oil change my engine started to produce some stronger noise coming from the head ... it seems like something is loose inside the head ... it wasn`t there before, my engine noise was nice ...

I start to think that it might be due to changing over from 10W30 semi-syntetic Mobil oil to 5W40 full syntetiv Total oil ...

Could that be thinner oil (5 vs. 10W) that is not supplying valve lifter enough and those lifters get noisy ...?

If so, is that something I should try to solve, should I go back and shange my oil back to 10W30 ...?

In short:
- Could that be valve lifters making noise because of thinner oil?
- Could that get so noticable right after an oil change?
- what to do?

Or is there any other suspects in that situation ...?

Thank`s in advance!

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
thinner oil is a possibility even though it's good oil, some saabs have a noisy tappet(s) on start up but once a few revs have gone by it goes, thinner oil obviously goes by things easier, eg so if a hydralic tappit is having thinner oil it rattles with the thick oil it does'nt, i don't think a 1/2ltr of stp or wynns will help but it might?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
16saabs said:
thinner oil is a possibility even though it's good oil, some saabs have a noisy tappet(s) on start up but once a few revs have gone by it goes, thinner oil obviously goes by things easier, eg so if a hydralic tappit is having thinner oil it rattles with the thick oil it does'nt, i don't think a 1/2ltr of stp or wynns will help but it might?
it`s noisy also when warmed up ...

and I just remembered that I did overfill the oil and it`s now being som 6-7mm above MAX on the scale ... does that make any problem?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read somewhere about bleading air off the oil passages that might be trapped in there ...

Could that be the case (air in the oil supply for lifters) as i changed oil recently?

Should I try bleading them by slightly undoing black bolts on the cams?
What`s the right procedure for doing that?

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
6-7mm is not a problem really. overfill is way above that. what happens is the engine crank is hitting the oil and makes a froth which is then as bad as having low oil it does not do the job. if you are that bothered about it, just have a small tin ,undo the sump screw and let a bit out then top back up, but its not a big deal as the marks are guides not a rigid line. we have all been there oil's not on the di[pstick so plough some more in and then it's too much, once you have put 3 1/2 ltrs in, just give it five mins to settle and then add a bit more and do the same till add marker level, but remember to check level after filter installed and car run is this holds 1/2ltr approx.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well ... I think it`s no head related ...
I narrowed down it to the clutch/gearbox ... because it can be heard from below the car and when clutch depressed the rattle noise goes away ...

What could cause that slight rattling in the box and what could I do about that?

Thank`s!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tomarse said:
Could be the release bearing on the clutch rather than the g/box itself.
Thank`s for advice ... it started pretty sudden ... hope it`s no the box itself ... could be time to open up the clutch and see whats in there. I havent touched it since in my posession (1+ years).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts