SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to remove the sliding sunshade of the sunroof/moonroof on a 93 9000 CSE hatchback without having to remove the entire headliner? The reason I ask is the fabric is starting to fall off (sag) on the sliding sunshade and I could not remove it by pulling away just the trim around the sunroof. Is there an easy way to get the sunshade out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You have to take out the sunroof itself. I have done it before, except going in the opposite direction. I had to put one in because my car didn't have one. It's not a difficult processes, but you have to careful.

Open the sunroof about a quarter of the way. You will expose 6 screws. Un-screw those and then move the sunroof into vent mode. On the inside of either side of the sunroof there will be 3 torx screws on each side. In order to get to the very front torx screws, you need to pull back that plastic piece you unscrewed in the beginning. It may take a little effort, but just move the plastic back a little bit so you can get to the last two torx screws that are at the very front. After you've done all this, just lift up your sunroof and you can take it out.

After you've taken it out, you'll see that it's all on a track. This is where it get's tricky and you need to be VERY careful here. There will be screws that are holding on a long metal piece on each track. You will also see two smaller metal pieces that have rods on them. These pieces make sure to stop the sunroof from moving forward and make the sunroof go into vent mode. Take un-screw these pieces first. After this, unscrew the metal long pieces. Once you have removed them, you'll see what looks like a long metal fuzzy screw that spins when you move the sunroof. This is the actual track that moves the sunroof. If you are not very careful here, you can throw off the sunroof movement (like I did) and then it will involve long hours of re-alignment and re-timing.

Once you have removed those metal covering pieces, you will be able to move the plastic piece we talked about in the beginning. Taking that out will allow you to take out the sun visor. Be careful on how it's put together so you will know how to put it back together when you replace the sun visor. I advise you to replace it right away so you don't forget how it all goes and mess things up. Once you get that new sun visor in, it's a matter of re-assembling it.

If when you take off the metal covering things, the spring thing springs up, just make sure it stays down. If you try and move it by hand or try and push the sun roof button, you may throw off the allignment. Just be careful. If you do it right, the whole process will take about 2 hours plus or minus a half hour. Just be CAREFUL!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Justin for the detailed info and write up. I was hoping it was going to be alot simpler than the process you described. I guess I will have to set aside some more time to fix this minor annoyance. thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts