SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2002 Saab 9-3, but it only came with one key. I found out about how if you lose all keys then you are SOL so I started freaking out a bit. After a lot of research here (thanks!), I found out you can:
1)buy a used remote key from ebay (this works up through 2002 9-3's),
2)then buy a new remote key SHELL from the dealer with metal key (cut to my car),
3) then put the "guts" from the used ebay key into the new dealer key,
4) then have dealer reprogram all keys

Here's my question - I just picked up 2 used remote keys for cheap. Can I skip to step 4 (dealer reprograms keys)? I mean, can I take my used ebay keys and have the dealer reprogram those before I get the new dealer metal key part cut? Then when Saab parts finally reopens and I get my new cut dealer key remote shell, can I switch the guts then?

Just wondering I need the metal key to be matched and the guts all switched over before I reprogram or if I can switch the guts later. I just don't want to be with only one remote (we have a history of losing keys) and would love to just get it reprogrammed now and switch the guts over later.

Hopefullly this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
No reason it'd not work as long as the tech is willing to pop in the used "guts" into the one key that does work the ignition switch.

Programming for remotes and keys is a two step process.

It starts by having the TWICE already "awake" by having a key the TWICE knows in the ignition switch and in the ON position.

Once the Tech2 is used to start the programming, simply pressing the unlock button (something like 8 times) on each remote will program in that remote (up to a total of 4 remotes)

Programming the TWICE to recognize additional transponder chips is as simple as removing the 1st "known key", inserting an unknown key and turning the ignition to ON. The TWICE will query the key, learn the code and be ready for the next transponder (again, up to a total of 4 transponders)

If you take the back off the "known key" and have the guts out of the used keys, the tech can wake up the TWICE with the known key, program all the remotes and then by removing the key, swapping in the used guts, can then learn the additional transponders.

When done, you'd have three transponders and remotes that the TWICE recognizes and just be waiting on the pair of additional physical keys. It'd be cheap insurance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense - the cars ignition needs to be in the "on" position for the transponder to be reprogrammed. I'll have to talk to the dealer to see if they'll do that - I already know that they will reprogram a key, but hopefully they will be willing to switch parts too.

One more follow up question - all they need to switch over is the transponder, correct? No need to mess with the battery and remote circuit when programming the transponder right?

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
^ It's all one small unit with the remote key, there's no separate "transponder" piece to swap. So, they will be swapping everything internal to the all-in-1 key. FWIW - there was a guy on Ebay selling all-in-1 blanks a few weeks ago for $40 (same as the dealer price, but the dealer includes <strike>programming</strike> cutting). He may be sold out now, and/or the price may be higher.

EDIT: The dealer includes CUTTING, not programming, for $40! Programming is an additional charge, $35 to $75 at most places.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That makes sense - the cars ignition needs to be in the "on" position for the transponder to be reprogrammed. I'll have to talk to the dealer to see if they'll do that - I already know that they will reprogram a key, but hopefully they will be willing to switch parts too.

One more follow up question - all they need to switch over is the transponder, correct? No need to mess with the battery and remote circuit when programming the transponder right?
Nope, no messing around needed. On the remote keys, the guts have both the remote and the transponder. I'd have fresh batteries in the used guts but other than swapping in and out the guts, the tech won't have to mess with anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are awesome thanks so much. As soon as I get the keys I'll head over to the dealer. Starting to get paranoid about only having one key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saab 9-3 Arc 2003 Key/Fob Problems

i have one key that looks great but doesn't work.

another key that has fallen apart to the point that i have to 'bridge' the sensors with another key (they're exposed) to open/lock the doors -- but now that key has quit working ...

i'm going to go get new batteries and try that ...

but other than that, what are my options?
i know i can take the key out of the fob to open the doors, but when i do that it sets off the alarm...

can you explain some of this other stuff to me ...
i.e. do i have to put the key in the ignition to sync it or something?
and i read something about pressing the unlock button 7 times?

i'm not sure where there is even a saab dealer that's in business ...
any thoughts? I'm seriously scratching my head here....
:cry:

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
i have one key that looks great but doesn't work.

another key that has fallen apart to the point that i have to 'bridge' the sensors with another key (they're exposed) to open/lock the doors -- but now that key has quit working ...

i'm going to go get new batteries and try that ...

but other than that, what are my options?
i know i can take the key out of the fob to open the doors, but when i do that it sets off the alarm...

can you explain some of this other stuff to me ...
i.e. do i have to put the key in the ignition to sync it or something?
and i read something about pressing the unlock button 7 times?

i'm not sure where there is even a saab dealer that's in business ...
any thoughts? I'm seriously scratching my head here....
:cry:
If this is a 2003 ARC, you need the 9-3 SS forum. This forum is for the OG9-3 and only the convertible in 2003.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Keep in mind for future reference or anyone finding this thread later.
The only part you MUST have is a key. A key on the 99-02/03 Vert will disarm your alarm.
Not this is not true on later OR EARLIER 9-3's/900's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Result

Okay, I went and got two of those round batteries...
I think part of my problem was that you think the fob isn't working because you still have to sync it in the ignition hole ...
So I got a new battery and synced the key that was in good shape. And it worked.
I then found that Hurricane Chevrolet (used to sell Saabs) has a Saab technician and they had the fobs in their parts store ... in Hurricane, WV.

They programmed a new key for me.
Cost: Parts 69.00 Labor: 43.88 .... tax 6.95 shop supplies 3.07 Total: 122.90

Not bad I guess. They were super nice and helpful.

They said even the one that is all beat up will still work in the ignition and advised me to keep ALL 3 keys for future reprogramming....

THanks everyone!

Shaun

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
Great prices, but "shop supplies" ? What, they charge for the electricity to run the Tech II now?

More of that "we add a fixed percentage to every job to hike fees" nonsense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great prices, but "shop supplies" ? What, they charge for the electricity to run the Tech II now?

More of that "we add a fixed percentage to every job to hike fees" nonsense.
I think the $3 was for the batteries he bought himself.
However, if it was that, they're some expensive-*** batteries 🤣
When I had to get mine I managed to get a pack of 6 in a 'thrift shop' over here in the UK, called Home Bargains for only £1(roughly $1.30) which, in turn left me we with a few spares.
Hope this is helpful for anybody in the UK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm currently fixing the same problem for a friend, her spare key-fob's buttons have disintegrated, and one of the battery contacts has snapped off, but trying to find a replacement PCB in the UK for a reasonable price now that SAAB itself has gone, is like trying to catch santa in the act 🤣

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Does PFS not carry them? I bought an entirely new one not that long (about a year) ago from Orio... I would expect PFS to have them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts