SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to the group and wondered if anyone could help me with my saab 93 TiD 2.2.
I last used the car 3 days ago and although I had to top up the engine oil (which was nearly empty accroding to the dipstick - no warning light on SID), it ran pretty well and covered over 300 miles in the day.
Tried to start it up today and absolutely zippo !
Looked page by page through the user guide and can't seem to find any tips or hints there.
The car is 3 years old, has been regularly serviced - but does have high mileage (95k).
Anyone out there help ?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome! Can you be a little more specific on the "zippo" part? Does the starter crank the engine, does the car seem to have power from the battery, how much oil did it take to top up, is the oil level ok now...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is , i believe an oil feed to the turbo-charger, if the seals are shot, you will find oil at the exhaust end..

Or is the oil level checked only at the "services" ??
The other problem may be just a worn out battery.
The voltage should be monitored, but no one uses a gauge anymore...
The car-maker's "user guides" (owners manuals), are in need of improvement, a great deal of updating and adding necessary items and deleting junk....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks to Earthworm and PMIThe car does crank but doesn't start.
I put a litre of oil in and the level is fine now.

My brother has just had a look at it and he seems to think there is no fuel getting to the injection pump?

I'd appreciate any further help - before I have it towed off to a garage - and no doubt make a big dent in my bank balance !

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I would edit the post to include TiD in the title, so the right people notice, but I think a professional mechanic will be seeing this car soon.

One liter low, unless you topped up recently, is not serious. Don't say "nearly empty" and "no oil light" to a back-yard mechanic unless you really mean that, it brings up all kinds of catastrophic engine scenarios <chuckle>.

Don't know much about the fuel pump on a diesel (GM does not let us have those in the US), but obviously if it does not work, you won't get any fuel. Aside from that, I think the ecu does not start the pump if there is no signal from the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) while the starter is cranking the engine. Assuming you have power to run the starter, it goes something like this:

The engine cranks over
The CPS generates a signal to the ECU
The ECU starts the pump and the ignition (spark)
Engine fires

Power to the pump goes through a fuse, a relay, and then the pump motor. Checking the fuse and relay is fairly easy. The fuse is in the fuse panel, the relay is under the knee panel below the dash. Verifying there is power to the pump is a little more difficult, but sometimes you can hear it running if you flip the back seat up and put your ear over the spot where the access panel is located, and have someone crank the engine.

(earthworm better check my answers on this... <LOL>)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PMI - thanks again

will have a chat with 'friendly mechanic' and share with him your thoughts in the hope that he will be able to get to some sort of conclusion. Will let you know the outcome sometime tomorrow - now in need of some of the red grape !
Cheers !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts