SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heater knob got very stiff to turn today, before what sounds like the linkage snapped. It now turns very easily and doesnt do owt and I'm now stuck on cold :(

I assume that it is likely that one of the plastic universal joint type bits has snapped? or is something else more likely?

What is the easiest way to get into the dash and fix it?

I'd quite appreciate some warmth in the car at this time of year! :lol:

·
Registered
799 Posts
More likely that the plastic cable bracket on top of the centre panel has snapped off. Remove instrument binnacle cover and glove box for access to the top cover screws.

I had to change mine for the same reason - £5 well spent at the National :D .

Chris.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do saabs get brittle when its cold? :confused:

My drivers seat base has collapsed too now, so im currently sitting on a pile of magazines and feeling quite cold :(

The car must be displeased for some reason!

I've got a complete spare dash in boxes round at the parentals. Bet i cant find the bit thats broken on mine....

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
My old webspace has croaked, so I need to go round and replace all the pics, butI found that the brackets holding the cable outer sheaths to the control box had broken. I fixed it by drilling holes either side and using cable ties.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If one is too lazy to take the dash apart, one can adjust the heater valve by hand from the engine bay if you take the plastic cover off it (one screw) :cheesy:

I have now fitted a much hotter winter thermostat (89 or so compared to the 82 i did have in) and manually set it to hot. I now get nicely cooked after only 2 or 3 miles and the needle sits at the top of the N :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there,

Regarding the heater valve, I had the same problem with mine. It is manually controlled via bowden cables, one end of which is mounted to a few bits of (old, brittle) plastic behind each knob.

As far as I can remember you can only get at it from inside the car, and the main problem is getting at the screws! One is inside the glove box by the glovebox light. The other is behind the plastic shroud for the instrument cluster. These secure the dashboard tray (where one keeps one's sunglasses....). Lift that off and you can get straight at the works. If you get a second hand heater control unit you'll probably find it's already broken. As it's cable opertated you don't have to be particularly precise with your repair.....I bound mine together with nylon cable ties and it seems to be holding!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nutcase said:
Cor, it's going to take forever to re-host all me pics :(
Yeah - the old ones in my threads are partly dead too. I have problems cos the forum software has changed since then and reduced the number of images you are allowed per post so I have to edit some of them out during the process which makes it even harder.

ta for the pics Rich, its obvious now. Are all the rods that i have inherited in my saab spares boxes with little plastic UJ's on the ends off c900's?

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
nutcase said:
My old webspace has croaked
You need a domain name. Then whenever your contract expires or the servers blow-up or the company goes bust... you just adjust the www record in the dns for your domain and all the webrowsers all over the world will look at your new webspace instead of the old webspace.

None of the dials work on my 99's heating system. All broken. My dash is a bit 'open' so I can reach behind the dash and yank the cables but really I can't be bothered and at some point it all comming out so I can build a custom dash with room for gauges and switches. My current dash does nothing except add weight and may as well not be there.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tomarse said:
Do saabs get brittle when its cold? :confused:

My drivers seat base has collapsed too now, so im currently sitting on a pile of magazines and feeling quite cold :(
The 2nd hand replacement seat base i fitted a couple of weeks ago only bloody collapsed this weekend! :roll:

Same day as i put in a big parts order and forgot to add seat base kits to it! :roll:

I've not been eating any more pies than usual!, honest!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts