SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 Saab 9-5 and while I was sitting in my apartment I heard a car alarm going off in the parking lot. Certain it was not my car, I looked at the window and to my dismay I realized that my car's alarm was going off for no reason. I walked out to the car and unlocked the doors and it turned the key in the ignition and it shut off and the alarm went off. It went back on five minutes later and I did the same thing and the alarm went off again. It's been silent for the past hour, but I'm concerned this could happen at 2 AM when everyone is asleep in the neighborhood.

I've read some threads on sites about this issue and they all confuse the hell out of me (sorry, I'm not a car guy). I keep hearing Tech II and something about the backup batteries under the wheel well.

I have several questions....

1) if I just leave my doors unlocked, will the alarm go off? I live somewhere safe where no one would steal anything, so there is no need to lock the doors if I risk the alarm going off.

2) Is there any way to just pull a fuse overnight so I know it won't go off at 2 AM? I can reinsert the fuse in the morning or before I drive. How about if I disconnect the battery? I believe if the alarm is going off while I disconnect the battery it won't shut the alarm off but if it isn't going off and I disconnect it should prevent the alarm from being activated (my main concern is the alarm going off in the middle of the night).

3) Is there any easy way to just permanently disable the alarm? I don't need the siren and don't want to pay $$$$ for someone to install a new battery pack (I don't have a solder kit and don't want to pay to get a new battery installed)

Bottom line is I want to prevent the alarm from going off. I'd prefer to just pull a fuse, but am will to disable the alarm if possible. THANK YOU!!!!!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Take off your left front wheel, remove the wheel well liner you will find the alarm module inside (black plastic box) remove the two mounting bolts and the wire connector and find your garbage receptacle of choice for the unit.

OR...remove the unit and replace the failed capacitors inside..nah junk it.;ol;

You can pull fuse #14 in the fuse box under the hood but you will also be cutting the power supply to your air conditioning compressor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Rather than take off the tire for now, I'd likely just pull the fuse. When I look at the owners manual, it says that fuse 14 is for the radiator fan, high speed.....is this the correct fuse? Are there any other implications for pulling this fuse?

How about just leaving my doors unlocked? Would the alarm go off? Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate it.....I got the sense it would be much more costly than $30 or I would do that. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I took mine out and put it back in after replacing the batteries without taking off the wheel. I don't have dainty hands either. I would recommend wrapping the end of the connector in electrical tape and securely fastening it to the mount.

You can just leave it out and you won't even get an error message on the SID.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As already indicated, it is very easy to just remove the unit..takes just a few minutes. See this DIY write-up, where you can see how easy it is to remove the unit (and then also replacing the battery if that's something you wanted to take-on)http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/siren_battery/intro.asp
. If it was me, I'd just remove the unit and call it the day.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Quick temporary fix.

So until you get the alarm fixed or disconnected you can deactivate the alarm system temporarily. The method is described somewhere in the owners manual. It goes something like this: put the key in the drivers door lock and and with the car unlocked turn the key backwards or to unlock position three times and the alarm is deactivated.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Depending where he is, they may charge the flat rate time. If the book says an hour, you pay an hour. That's how we make money.
Fair enough...my local independent does stuff like this based on actual time and effort and banks on acquiring a return customer.

That's how he makes money....from me anyway.;ol;

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the easiest way to temporarily address this overnight so the alarm does not go off would be to pull the alarm fuse under the hood? I see it is the same fuse as for the A/C, but I'll put the fuse back in when driving it should not be a problem, is that correct?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nah that won't work sadly.. the alarm is powered seperately by a set of batteries in the module. There is a way to disable it using your key. Someone posted it above.

A quick search shows eeuroparts.com is selling the batteries individually now. There's a few write ups that will show you how to "rebuild" it. Your basically swapping batteries.

And Bob3000, I wish we dealer techs could get paid that way. Flat rate is the bane of extistence. It's very tough to make decent money if your shop is slow. A cruze came in recently with a misfire. The issue was so evasive, GM sent a field engineer to figure it out..he couldnt. eventually the problem is found to be a single female terminal was barely loose on the coil pack. 2 days totalling almost 17 hour of work. Total pay? 2 hours!! 1 hour for diag, 1 for the repair. It's all good though... ready to swap back to indy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I see this message above

So until you get the alarm fixed or disconnected you can deactivate the alarm system temporarily. The method is described somewhere in the owners manual. It goes something like this: put the key in the drivers door lock and and with the car unlocked turn the key backwards or to unlock position three times and the alarm is deactivated.

However I don't see this in my owner's manual. Does this work for a 2007? I don't even understand what it means. Put the key in the door and turn it which way, clockwise or counterclockwise three times? How do I know it even works? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so I opened up the driver's side wheel well to find this mystery horn and low and behold it isn't there! Is it possible that a 2007 has this auxillary horn somewhere else? All that is under the wheel well on the driver's side is the reservoir for the wiper fluid, nothing else. I had two other people look and we saw absolutely nothing. We completely took off the plastic flap around the wheel well to get a good look at everything and nothing is there. We even checked the passenger side and nothing is there either.

Anyone have a clue where this alarm is located in a 2007 9-5? Please help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
OK, so I opened up the driver's side wheel well to find this mystery horn and low and behold it isn't there! Is it possible that a 2007 has this auxillary horn somewhere else? All that is under the wheel well on the driver's side is the reservoir for the wiper fluid, nothing else. I had two other people look and we saw absolutely nothing. We completely took off the plastic flap around the wheel well to get a good look at everything and nothing is there. We even checked the passenger side and nothing is there either.

Anyone have a clue where this alarm is located in a 2007 9-5? Please help.

It should be on the opposite side of where your looking. If your facing the driver side wheel, it's to the right, under the windshield, or owards it anyway. I looked at some diagrams for quite some time, they all show the same spot.

Do you have a siren, or is it a horn that beeps?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts