SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went in for an oil change and told them to check my rear brakes because they were making a noise while driving (w/o brake applied). They said I needed new pads/rotors, so, ok. BUT, during the fix they came back and told me that I had a frozen rear caliper and they couldnt get it off...

After reading and talkin to some people they told me that if the mechanic doesn't take the parts off correctly it can cause problems, is this true??? They are going to charge me $80 for a caliper now too. Should they be covering the cost of the caliper??!

I have an '01 Saab 9-3 5spd

THANKS!

· Registered
353 Posts
Wow, this is a lot of ground to cover...OK, first it's interesting that they come across a frozen rear caliper, because you heard a noise. Unless the noise is your tire screeching on the pavement, you're more like to actually feel the effect. I think you would be surprised how common it is for the rear calipers to go south on our cars.

Next, replacing rear calipers is not that big of a deal, unless the union nut strips. I did both my rear calipers earlier this year (BTW, it's recommended to replace in pairs); nearly stripped the union nut on the rear left- it wouldn't loosen with PB blaster then heat, so we used PB Blaster, then lit it up with MAPP gas without waiting for it to soak (that worked better!); and everything works hunky dory now.

Realistically, $80 isn't even a bad price for a rebuilt caliper, even though I think I got mine for less by web.

Where in Michigan are you?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey wow, quick reply here.

Yeah the noise i heard was like a high pitched-humm. It was be present anywhere from 10-80mph. Then if I applied the brake it would go away.

I think I am looking at close to $300 with the oil change, pads, rotors, and caliper... :/

I am in Grand Rapids area.

· Registered
353 Posts
Being in GR you should be able to find somebody competent. If I wasn't so pinched for time this weekend, I would even take a peek at it myself this wknd if you were an hour SW (I have drywall taping + mudding to do for a family member in Allegan County).

That number could be right by the time you figure labor, and where they get the parts from, and how many pads and rotors we're talking. Is it something you can do yourself with an internet tutorial and a torque wrench?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.