SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I finally have the saab running great (although i still have the high speed vibe, think , my other wheel bearing is bad) and i want some more performance. I was going to go with an intake now, and need some recomendations. I have the drop in K&N filter in my Jeep, which increased power, but i would like something more performance boosting. Any suggestions? Please keep in mind i have the mitsubishi turbo (HOT) if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
So who swapped in the mitsu turbo?

I would enlarge your intake pipe, it is the least costly option. Basically get some thin wall 3" inner diameter pvc and replace the paper towel roll sized pipe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The turbo in the '99 HOT is made by mitsubishi. Saab switched turbo's halfway through the year and the "newer" ones were made by mitsubishi and produced more power, hence the 185 hp and 200 hp (B205R engine) model variants.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Every 99 hot I have seen has had a Garrett T25, but I wouldn't doubt if you really do have a mitsu. Late production cars do get some odd stuff. Including the one 00 Lightning blue viggen coupe.

·
Registered
956 Posts
if you want more power get a mbc+a. intake will get you next to nothing besides sound really. also you can make your own if you want and save you some money. i vote, mbc+a and save for exhaust

·
Registered
774 Posts
Stock intake with paper filter is good for over 400hp so I would look elswhere for mods.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After i posted i realized that i should have been in the other thread... oh well.

This is my daily driver (my other ride is a lifted grand cherokee) so the mods i want to be small, but noticeable. That is where i got my intake idea. Does anybody have any luck with the K&N cold air kit?

Tweek's turbo: I got my turbo info from wikipedia, it is most likely wrong and i prob have the garrett. The article(saab engines, B205) said Mitsu TD04.

·
Registered
956 Posts
seriously the intake you wont really feel any difference, only hear it. if you want performance get a mbc+a. just make your own intake for a lot less is what i recommend. or if you want to spend the extra money for one already made.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Pretty C said:
This is my daily driver (my other ride is a lifted grand cherokee) so the mods i want to be small, but noticeable. That is where i got my intake idea. Does anybody have any luck with the K&N cold air kit?
Don't bother. Seriously...

It's only worthwhile if you're planning to do some serious modding, so direct the attention to changes after the turbo. A new exhaust or a 3" downpipe would help considerably...

Tweek's turbo: I got my turbo info from wikipedia, it is most likely wrong and i prob have the garrett. The article(saab engines, B205) said Mitsu TD04.
Yup....The Wikipedia info is just incomplete; the 2000-2002 B205R (9-3 SE) has the Mitsubishi TD04HL-15T. You have a Garrett GT17

·
Registered
723 Posts
you could do an aftermarket drop in filter, or you could make your own open air setup

both are fine and alot of us do that despite the lack of signifigant performance increase

1 - 14 of 14 Posts