SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Saabnet at prices (lets say turbo convertibles). See prices ranging from 2500 to 25,000 for non basket case cars with not THAT much difference in condition. I know mileage is a big factor on the collector market, but it is hard to tell what is reasonable, especially since KBB prices for these cars are closer to a few grand. Issue is sites like this don't say what the car SOLD for, only what it lists for.

What do these things really go for?

·
Registered
213 Posts
After seeing a number of show-quality SAABs at the convention when it was in California a couple of years ago, I would say there is a big difference between a SAAB that costs $2500 and one that is worth $25,000. It takes a lot of money, time and effort to get any old car into that sort of shape. Or, it takes a meticulous original owner to care for it during its life to keep it in great shape. Either way the price maybe justified, as it would be difficult or impossible for you to create a similar vehicle for what existing high-end SAABs go for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there are special cars, and I get that. But for someone like me, who is in the market, it is hard to tell what prices are too high (10k for a 150k mi car with an average interior?) and what are too good to be true (3k for a well maintained car with similar miles).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you buying the car to drive it or to flip it? If it's the former, then the price is a purely relative value. It's a simple cost-benefit equation: is this car worth this much money to me? Nobody wants to overpay or be underwater on a car they're trying to sell, but if you're buying it primarily to enjoy it, the monetary side of the equation is secondary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I paid almost $7k for a 94 900t vert with 83k Back in April. Was in good condition and I have Almost 89k on it now. Think I maybe paid a little too much but I have always wanted a 900 classic turbo. Just had to replace the fuel pump over the past 6 months. She will get stored away until spring. It is a great car!!!!

-R

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So the end of the story is I ended up buying a 1991 900 turbo convertible 5 speed in Beryl Green. The body is rust free, 130K miles, really nice paint. Leather interior good, some cracking on the dash. Drives great except for the ABS system giving me fits (brakes well, but pump runs too often, even after new accumulator). I paid 2700 for the car. Really I had little choice, it was the only one available locally. The vert has been great fun, and since hadn't driven a 900 (or even sat in one) since 1996, I am really impressed with what a great car it is to drive. Makes me wish I had the financial means to have bought a new one off the show room floor (though I was 18 in 1993, so that was not possible).

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^^^^

congrats on your purchase!!!! Hope you get the brake problem resolved.

I will have to keep my eyes open for a c900 turbo hatchback so I can drive it year round!

any pics? This is my baby after semi cleaning her last week and putting the snow tires on the WRX!

-R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts