SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I just joined the site to try and help my mom out. She's got an 02 9-3 convertible and it's had a reoccuring problem with the headlights. She's had the car a year and a half and this will be the 3rd time replacing the headlights, what happens is that the brights will go out after some time. Then we replace them and a couple months later it happens again. Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix? Or is this new to you guys? Help me out!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
is someone touching the bulb when they are replaced? That would make them last only a couple months. You can't let any oil get on them.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
If one touches the bulb, wipe the bulb with alcohol to try to remove as much oil as possible.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
What brand are you using? Some brands have a surprisingly short life span.
I agree with the no touching the bulb issue. Touching the bulb and not cleaning it very well after that with alcohol is the kiss of death for those bulbs.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I believe Saab could make an improvement in these powerful headlights. A current flow limiting circuit to allow for a slow electrical flow to the bulb. It is the sudden shock of electrons that blows the fragile filaments in bulbs.......I think...Trouble with this is that it would make the headlight flashing totally ineffective...Maybe people should not do this anyway...:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Agree with above...must be super clean going in. I would avoid gimick bulbs like super blue, or super bright.

Also the orange relay under the hood, "light controll relay" could be suspect.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had a problem with frequent failing of the headlight bulbs. I replaced them individually when they failed (every 3-4 months). The assistant at Autozone said I should replace them as a pair - so I did. Since then, no more problem (over a year).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts