SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a few minutes today to look over my coolant expansion tank and noticed the end of a a hose/tube resting on one of the heat shields very near the coolant tank. The tube seems to extend straight down to near the transmission. I've attached two pictures .. one with it placed where I found it and one with it pulled up to expose the open end.

It would seem this should be connected to something or at the very least be securely positioned somewhere.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No ... (just went to garage) now that the engine is not hot I managed to poke around with a flashlight and see that one end is connected to the transmission (about a foot or so below the coolant tank) and the other end is connected to nothing. I've added some arrows to point out the free end of the tube (striaght arrows) and the route down (curved arrows). Again one picture showing where I found the free end resting on the heat shield and the other proped up to show the free end.

My reference to the coolant tank is not germane to the tube and stems from the fact that I'm paranoid it is going to leak. That was the reason I was "snooping" around in that area of the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm trying to find it in the WIS is the car automatic?

Edit: It might be the ventilation hose from the transmission the detail they have goesn't show there it goes only where you disconnect it from on the tranny if it's an automatic, honestly don't know much about the v6. I do know how to remove your engine and transmission now though, computers are great.
Your not getting any cel and is the car driving normal?
If your not having any problems that sounds like it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Automatic transmissions need a vent - As the fluid temps rise, they expand; so the case is vented to prevent a pressure buildup. The end of the hose should be pointed down somewhere underneth the car.
It may be possible that, if the fluid expands enough, a small amount may be forced out the vent tube, so keep that in mind. (in other words, don't point it down to where it would empty onto the brake rotor or something like that...)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jpk said:
Automatic transmissions need a vent - As the fluid temps rise, they expand; so the case is vented to prevent a pressure buildup. The end of the hose should be pointed down somewhere underneth the car.
It may be possible that, if the fluid expands enough, a small amount may be forced out the vent tube, so keep that in mind. (in other words, don't point it down to where it would empty onto the brake rotor or something like that...)
Makes sense ... where is this routed in some other owners 2.8T engine compartments?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ... I do try to keep it up. I've had the car for about a year after if sat on the dealers lot for almost a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts