SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 900set convertible was recently determined to be a total loss by the insurance company after an accident in Mass. The car is registered in Alabama and I bought it back from the insurance company and made some basic repairs and drove it home. The car was hit in the rear and then pushed into the car in front of me. No airbags were deployed (low speed) and the damage was cosmetic except for the radiator support, radiator, and a/c components. I straightened the radiator support, replaced the radiator, and installed used headlights and turn signals. There was no damage to the fenders or quarter panels. Both bumpers are scraped and have small cuts but are very serviceable. The car drives perfectly and made the 1000+ mile trip with no issues.
The insurance company did not take possession of the car and I am not sure how the "salvage title" will be generated. I still have my clear title and the insurance company has not asked for it.
Options:
A. Sell the car as-is and let the new owner get a rebuilt title or use the car for parts.
B. Part out the car.
C. Others?????
It is a shame for this to become a parts car as I had just completely refurburshed the entire mechanicals of the car and the body and top are in exceptional original condition.
Here are a couple of pictures after the accident. I will post some pictures as it is now as soon as I take some.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
man that's alot of damage, no wonder the insurance says its a write off. The cost of the parts alone to fix all that to "Insurance Specs" would cost more than the car is worth currently, that's why its a write off.

The hood alone, plus the cost of refinishing would be close to $1000. Then the bumber covers, the headlights, headlight wipers, grill, looks like the passanger side fender may be deformed...

I's say park her and use her for parts or part it out (if you have the space to store and park her) then scrap it, or just scrap it all together. Who's gonna want to buy it like that, unless the person interested is looking for a project car, but then again these don't make good project cars in North America, the parts are just too expensive and hard to find.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I'd say fix it! It's a convertible and seems in a good shape

You already replaced the headlights, corner lights, and radiator. The grille is a max of $20 on ebay.

You made a huge mistake not buying the hood in NH. NH is full of SAABs and finding a hood & radiator support in the same color for cheap is a breeze.
The bumpers can be repaired or just reinstalled. You can get used ones too. but those aren't that cheap.

You'll need to pull the radiator support and repalce it then just bolt the new hood in and adjust it.

The car just slipped under an SUV right? That's why there's so much damage as it didn't hit the bumper and frame rails but rather the lights, grille & radiator support. That damage is cosmetic and not structural.

I already bought and fixed much worse. Then again I'm not sure of your skills.

If you sell it as is, what do you expect to get for her?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the rear.
I have a parts car with a good hood, headlight wipers, radiator support, and rear bumper but the color is not the same. Alabama law makes it very difficult for an individual to repair a salvage vehicle and get the title changed to reconstructed.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
OK, I'll give you a trick to get rid of that crease on the rear bumper

Get the bumper off the car (not a necessary step but makes the job cleaner, faster and easier)

Boil a lot of water. Wear oven mits (the silicone kind if possible or ones that are water proof)

poor the boiling water on the bumper. It'll get softer. Remold it with your hands to it's original shape BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF :nono; . I've done this several times restoring bumpers to a like new condition. :cheesy:

As for the registration. Register it in another state!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
soemthing doesn't look right with the front end, the hood's front corners are a little up while the centre is down, what's with that? and the passanger side headlight isn't inline with the grill

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
he didn't replace the hood yet and there's a small bend on the fender's corner. That bend shouldn't be fixed until the new hood is on the car and aligned.

Compared to what it looked like before it looks very good and the job isn't even finished yet. cut the guy some slack :roll:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I decide to fix it further, I will replace the radiator support with one from my parts car. The one in the car now was cut out and bent back into shape as best I could and then spot welded back in. The new radiator support would assure that the lights line up correctly. I am leaning toward selling the car as is with the salvage title and letting the new owner take care of finishing the repairs and getting the reconstructed title. I would be able to provide the necessary a/c parts from my parts car that is still holding pressure. Would also provide any other parts from the parts car that the new owner wants. The engine runs excellent and the turbo was rebuilt just 3,000 miles ago. Has new control arms and the suspension bushings are all good. Other than the damage from the accident this vehicle has been well sorted. The transmission shifts perfectly and the manual adjust clutch cable works very well with no excessive pressure required. The shift linkage was updated to the newer style as well.
If there is enough interest in parts I would consider parting it out.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Well that depends on how much you expect to get for it. You can post it in the classifieds section and on craiglist too.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hkayssi said:
Compared to what it looked like before it looks very good and the job isn't even finished yet. cut the guy some slack :roll:
Like the saying goes, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion if you're gonna fix it, fix it right, replace the radiator support so that the headlight, hood latch and side fenders, as well as the front bumber all align up nicely. This is a Saab man, a convertable for that matter, these cars are a step up from the high school's kid's Trecel, Civic, or Integra. It shouldn't look like it was cut, paste, tape, glue here and there, it just makes the car look cheap.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diosnoche said:
Like the saying goes, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion if you're gonna fix it, fix it right, replace the radiator support so that the headlight, hood latch and side fenders, as well as the front bumber all align up nicely. This is a Saab man, a convertable for that matter, these cars are a step up from the high school's kid's Trecel, Civic, or Integra. It shouldn't look like it was cut, paste, tape, glue here and there, it just makes the car look cheap.
I agree but with a reconstructed title the value is greatly diminished and I would probably be better off selling as is. I would like to get $2500 for it as it is and let someone else fix it as it should be or use it for parts.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
fphillips said:
I agree but with a reconstructed title the value is greatly diminished and I would probably be better off selling as is. I would like to get $2500 for it as it is and let someone else fix it as it should be or use it for parts.
Dream on :lol:!

1996 with salvage tiltle? You can get one in a great condition for that price and no salvage title and doesn't need repairs :roll:

Be realistic or complete fixing it then sell it. After it's repaired and the title is reconstructed you may get lucky and sell it for that much :roll:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts