SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was about 2 yrs back... i was walking through a parking lot and i happened to walk by a Saab. I noticed how the ignition was located between the seats. Another thing that cought my eye... the Turbo needle... I just fell head over heals, i read about abt a lot of other small quirky things. That summer after about 3 months of shopping i ended up buying a 1996 900SE 2.5 v6 with 75k miles. (I found this forum after i bought the car... :cry: )
To be honest i miss the turbo, i have always felt this way. I feel like its not a true saab, without the turbo.
Now... i hear a lot ppl say a lot of thigs about the 2.5 v6. I have never had any problem with it.. i never felt it was slow... at highway speeds it runs like a champ... effotlesly glide from 40mph to 90 mph... i couldnt ask for more.
Lately i find myself scanning through Craigslist looking for a 2.0t 5-speed.
I did find one.. a 1998 900SE 5-speed with 75k. I took it for a spin... and it was great... everything is clean except when u pop the hood... just downright dirty.. the shop says its just dust. But under belly/trunk looks spotless. The thing is... there are no records, not yet alteast. This was a trade in car at a local Saab dealership, and the women (2nd owner, the DOB on title reads 1940, now y did she want a 5-speed ?) didnt want any of her address/name lying around. The dealership says they did all the services and oil changes. I am going to talk to them tomorrow.. see if i can get any reacods. But anyways... i dont know if have to decide with my head or my heart.
Here i have my 1996 900se 2.5v6 (105k miles), which i have taken good care of, everything works. And there is this 1998 900se 2.0t 5-speed(75k miles).
Am i going to miss the SPORT/WINTER modes... the TCS (its a great feature). But... i want a turbo, i want a 5-speed.

I understand this is something i have to decide... but i would appreciate any perspectives.
Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
2.0T all the way.....to me there is no better feeling than boost....it puts a smile on my face time and time again...lol....and there are alot of tuning option out there for it toooo...alot of things u can do to make it take off!!!!:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
x3....2.0T.

V6s aren't really Saabs (sorry V6 owners) just look at the HP/L and you'll see why....not to mention the mpg. Far as I know the V6s are not as durable as the 4s either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only other car I had turbo in is a datsun 280zx turbo. I love the power I love feeling the kick in power. But Inline six make a v6 look like crap.

I had people go why a turbo. I like having the power when I need it. If I dont I like the money save on gas.

Here you have a car that compared to Most V6.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
RBatsch said:
x3....2.0T.
X4. Go for what you enjoy bud; the rest of it is just time and love to your car...

Problems happen in any auto; but there is a huge difference between driving a car because you have to; and driving a car because you want to... :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
well 99Saabnut has a point. I had everyone go why a turbo. I had a choice of 2 cars

Saab 900se turbo with a new motor. Or a Ford probe 2.2 turbo. Not rebuilt.

The controls of the saab gave me power. I dont bloody care if it not USA made. The car has Power.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
queryanalyzer said:
Am i going to miss the SPORT/WINTER modes...
No.... the 2.0 Turbo has those, as well. ;)

Most will also agree that the 98 900SE is the best NG900 Saab to own. A 97 would be a close second. ( I would say the 99 9-3SE is THE NG to own, besides a Viggen... ;) )

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
CleveSaab said:
No.... the 2.0 Turbo has those, as well. ;)

Most will also agree that the 98 900SE is the best NG900 Saab to own. A 97 would be a close second. ( I would say the 99 9-3SE is THE NG to own, besides a Viggen... ;) )
Yes, a auto has sport and TCS, but not his 5 speed he's looking at (I know you know this, but just didnt catch the part of it being a 5 speeed). I would agree that a ng '97-99 ('99 9'3) is definately the years to own. Most of the problems had been worked out by the 5th-6th year of production.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to take her to an Indie.. get her checked out. Let me see what comes out. I am almost sure i am going to go for it. Thanks guy, appreciate your thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts