SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
Im gonna commit to a Boost guage, question is should I get the reading in BAR or PSI, and which BAR, 1.5 or 2.2, Elkparts sell both?
Its for a stage 1 2.0lpt.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If you want to show off get a 1.5Bar gauge, cos it moves more for the same air pressure. :cool: I've got a 2.0Bar gauge and it looks like you're not trying unless you slay the car like a ricer. ;oops: Max i've hit with a stage 2 is about 0.9Bar, what that is in Psi i've no idea. :roll:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats a Ricer?

I think I want a white one? Dont know which though?
Wanna spend about £30 max.
What approximate boost should i get?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what you mean!
Not really what saab is about. I like the idea of a wolf in sheeps clothing !;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
a1damuk said:
Not really what saab is about. I like the idea of a wolf in sheeps clothing !;)
As apposed to a sheep in wolve's clothing !! :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
a1damuk said:
Whats a Ricer? Watch the Fast and The Furious for Ricers par excellance.

I think I want a white one? Dont know which though? There are two types electronic and atmospheric, electronic gauges need a sender unit wired in, atmospheric just use a vacuum hose tee'd into a boost line.

Wanna spend about £30 max. Look on ebay you'll pick up both varieties for early £20's, don't forget you'll need a pod or pillar mount as well.

What approximate boost should i get? You should be getting 0.4Bar on a standard 2.0 or 2.3lpt, 0.45Bar on an Aero.

Hope that helps. :cheesy:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes thanks, if im only getting 0.4 bar why would chris suggest va 2.0 bar gauge. Any ideas what that is in psi?

Does everyone use bar to psi?
Thanks

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
There is a conversion chart here:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/ConvPress.htm

Clearly I was incorrect about needing a 2 bar...........;oops:
Not really Chris, i think Finn said he was getting about 1.5Bar on caning it. If you intend going to a higher stage of tune then a 2.0Bar gauge is probably a good idea. I'm quite happy with stage 2, so in hindsight a 1.5Bar gauge would look better as the needle swings all over the gauge like tarzan through the trees. Passengers look at it and go "whoa, whats that crazy gauge you have there?" :cool:
Using that chart 0.4Bar equals approx 6Psi

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
I'm quite happy with stage 2
You say that till my Stage 4 ecu becomes available :p

X

·
0 Posts
Kermit said:
Not really Chris, i think Finn said he was getting about 1.5Bar on caning it. If you intend going to a higher stage of tune then a 2.0Bar gauge is probably a good idea. I'm quite happy with stage 2, so in hindsight a 1.5Bar gauge would look better as the needle swings all over the gauge like tarzan through the trees. Passengers look at it and go "whoa, whats that crazy gauge you have there?" :cool:
Using that chart 0.4Bar equals approx 6Psi

I agree a 1.5bar will be fine for even the most highly tuned cars. I can boost as high as 1.7bar (26psi approx) but this is only because I have had bespoke mapping and have changed the wastegate. This is a little on the risky side as I understand most of the applicable sensors in the 9-5 will only register up to 1.5bar.. ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh, I thought max boost was only 0.4 bar, so i imagined the needle moving a little bit!

Well, i have just recieved the 1.5 bar gauge from elkparts.com.
Thanks fro the advice!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im attempting to install it now, i have read the thread on how to install but thats left hand drive. where do i pass the tubing through the bulkhead so it comes on my drivers side?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
When Finn fitted Kermits one it came through into the passenger side and then was threaded under the dash to the driver's side ;)

Finn had shoulder length hair when he started :eek:

X

·
0 Posts
From the passenger side remove the upper foot well and side panels, pull carpet back. You will see a large rubber grommit in the fire wall that all the cabin electrics run through. Use a screwdriver or similar to punch a hole through to the engine compartment, enlarge the hole and feed the hose through. You can also see the grommit from the engine side roughly inline with the rear of the battery and a little lower :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
try looking at summitracing.com
both myself and a few others have found an autometer pod that was only 12 bucks. (ATM-2204 is the part number)

Nick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts