SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
We removed the valve cover on my '99 9.5 to find significant sludge. I want to remove some of the 'crust' (with tools and a shop vac) prior to doing an engine flush. I wanted to cover the oil return holes prior to doing this so that no debris gets lodged in them.
The only problem I have is that I don't know where the holes are and can't find any diagram to help me. (Obviously I'm learning as I go along)
...Can someone please help me with this? Probably a picture/diagram with simple arrows pointing to the holes would be most helpful if anyone could swing it.
Thanks ahead of time for your input!!!
Also any suggestion of the best flush would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Hi all
We removed the valve cover on my '99 9.5 to find significant sludge. I want to remove some of the 'crust' (with tools and a shop vac) prior to doing an engine flush. I wanted to cover the oil return holes prior to doing this so that no debris gets lodged in them.
The only problem I have is that I don't know where the holes are and can't find any diagram to help me. (Obviously I'm learning as I go along)
...Can someone please help me with this? Probably a picture/diagram with simple arrows pointing to the holes would be most helpful if anyone could swing it.
Thanks ahead of time for your input!!!
Also any suggestion of the best flush would be appreciated!
Drop the sump that's more important significant sludge will block your pick up ESPECIALLY BEFORE YOU TRY A FLUSH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jssaab... that is definitely part of the plan - but I read on several other threads (a number of posts by Bkrell) that it is recommended to clean out (by hand) all sludge possible in head first. Since the cover is off and it would be simple to do - I'd like to go ahead with it. I just need to cover up the return holes...and I don't know where they are. Can you help with that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had someone check out the engine for me and it looks like you are right, wrightbenz (that's a double right!).... it also looks like there is also one return hole on the direct opposite end of the head as well.
I think that's it..thanks for the input...now I can get on with a bit of cleaning ;ol;

·
Registered
253 Posts
Make sure you clean out the metal tubes in the valve cover. They get completely clogged wit sludge and are a pain to clean. I ended up using a guitar string and a bunch of carb cleaner to open them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts