SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
key wont turn the igniton on, just goes in and refused to open - stuck in reverse, after an hour of jiggerling wiggering managed to free the gear lever, then more wiggerling, key half in only, managed to turn ignition on to start the car - just leave key in all the time now no option.

im getting so p off with this car now. Whats the fix here.

·
Registered
704 Posts
key wont turn the igniton on, just goes in and refused to open - stuck in reverse, after an hour of jiggerling wiggering managed to free the gear lever, then more wiggerling, key half in only, managed to turn ignition on to start the car - just leave key in all the time now no option.

im getting so p off with this car now. Whats the fix here.
Swapping out the Ignition Lock Barrel would do the trick. Source one out from a yard. rockauto.com has one listed for under $50.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Is the key brass? Chrome plated brass is too soft for the torque required and wears too quickly in use. If your key is brass, and you are pretty sure it is original, I have referenced others to Scanwest in Seattle. They have a dealership key cutter and blanks. Might be an easier fix and relatively less expensive in time and effort. I will not say it is a cure, merely an option to consider.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for my previous rant - i was particularly not having a very good day. Still in same situation, still using the car, just have to be careful not to take the key out or put it into reverse when i switch off.

Anyway, as suggested i have sourced a replacement key and barrel. I no idea how i remove the old unit however?

The worst quote i got was from 2 stroke to turbo, who wanted £69.00 for a used replacement. Just to give some bad press.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
There is a hole in the side of the lock cylinder assembly. However, it is ofter drilled out to permit easier removal. This description is very limited. IF I have the weekend off I will try to send pictures of what I am talking about. However, an interim aid may be to pour a cup or so of hot water into the cylinder assembly to loosen hardened debris/grease/fluids that may have spilled and entered the cylinder assembly.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Anyway, as suggested i have sourced a replacement key and barrel. I no idea how i remove the old unit however?

The worst quote i got was from 2 stroke to turbo, who wanted £69.00 for a used replacement. Just to give some bad press.
Bentley tells you how to remove the barrel with pics. It suggests you remove the gear-change assy, but it can be done in situ once you know what you're doing. There is a little pin on the side underneath that you push in with the key in a particular position. If you are really stuck it can be drilled out, but you have to be careful not to damage anything else. Have you tried Alwyne (16saabs). He seems to have a lot of stuff.

I've found T2T helpful but they can be expensive. Depends who you're dealing with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts