SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a 2007 Saab 9.3 I kept it in garage for 4 months, battery was dead and couldn’t start it. I changed the battery. Now I cannot turn the key. The key stays at Lock position. I got a message on dashboard says "Pull key out, Turn steering wheel, Restart". I have tried to turn steering wheel left and right. But I still cannot turn the key. I have tried few hours, tried to disconnect battery few times, pulled the fuse. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions? Do I really need to replace ISM from I read from few other threads.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@aerojon Thanks. Yes. I removed the fob and reinserted it and turned it, but I still cannot turn the fob. I have also tried turning the fob and the steering wheel at the same time, but neither the wheel or fob turns.

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Turn your wheel to the left I mean really lean on it hard with your left hand and body. Put key in with right a few times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. @Hus_sho, It was #2 in the fuse box next to the dashboard. Here is what I did. Take key out and pulled #2 fuse out, put key in and turned it. Nothing happen. It seems the car did not detect the key. It was I expected since #2 is for ignition switch. Removed the key, inserted #2 back, inserted the key and turned the key, I got same message “pull key ou, turn the steering wheel, restart”
I also did same thing with #1 fuse. When #1 was out I got an error message something like “steering wheel lock malfunction, stop car and contact the service”. This is also what I expected since #1 is for Steering wheel lock. After I put #1 back, inserted key and turned, I got same error message “pull key out...”

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @Diggs, I just tried again. I pulled the key out and turn wheel as hard as I can to left. It passed 90 degree and I hold it at that position and inserted/turned the key few times, the key still couldn’t turn and same message appeared. I also did somethinh to right. Nothing changed. I also tried left key in the ignition switch and turned wheel hard to both directions at same time tried to turned the key. I got same message.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After a jump start- Odometer stays powered on with key removed, radio can be powered on any time. Steering wheel stays unlocked. I get the error “pull out key, turn steering wheel, restart”.

Replaced the battery. Charged it overnight. (With terminals removed).

Things that didn’t work- removing negative terminal overnight, removing fuses 1,2, replacing all, locking car, unlocking car, dancing a jig, saying a prayer, seating the key for 10 seconds before trying to turn. Same error and symptoms, key will not turn in lock.

Things that did work- using a pick to pull ignition pin lock out of the way and turning the key. I can move the car to start, nothing happens.
- I left it in “run” and jumped the starter relay terminals in the fuse panel under the hood. Car turns on. I drove a 5 mile lap to try to loosen up the stuck steering lock pin.. no luck.

I could get the key to turn back to lock after this, but not to off. I had to use the hook tool on the pin actuator on the bottom of the ignition switch to get the key to turn back to off and pull the key out.

Odometer and radio stay powered up after the key is removed.
Odometer panel turns off after I shut the door and lock the car, but the radio can still be powered on with the power button. (Maybe this is a standard feature and unrelated?).

The key not being able to turn all the way back to “off” makes me think I have a bad ignition switch.

The steering wheel not locking makes me think I’ve got a bad CIM or steering lock mechanism.

I don’t have a tech 2 to check further, but will post on ATL Saab Facebook group to see if anyone has one I can rent for beers...

·
Super Moderator
20,205 Posts
Replace ISM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the ignition module using this kit - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123667496386

I have most of the same issues. I still have to use a pick to move the plunger out of the way to move the key in and out of Lock. The steering wheel is still not locked with the key out, and it Doesn’t start the car when I turn to start. I can still start the car by removing the starter relay and jumping the contacts. Is my next step the CIM module? There are lots on eBay with a key included- https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233246103826

Think I’ll also need the steering column lock module?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe you just need to clean the ignition switch contactors?

Not sure if this thread is relevant anymore, but when I couldn't turn the key I had to clean the contactors on the ignition switch thing. I'm not sure what it's called. I don't know much about the Saab electrical system, so I'm not sure if this is the right fix for ya, but it worked in my situation.

To clean the contactors, I tore apart the area around the ignition switch and was able to pull it out. I did all this with the battery disconnected. After taking the ignition switch apart, I used rubbing alcohol to clean the contactors which were very dirty. With everything put back together and reconnecting the battery, I put the key in the slot, waited 10 seconds, pulled it out, waited another 10, and put it back in and turned and voila. I used this youtube video to help show me how to pull the ignition switch out: Saab 9-3 Ignition Switch (ISM). I guess I can't post links...

Unfortunately my display doesn't work, so I couldn't tell you what it was showing when I couldn't turn my key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
initially I disassembled the ignition and cleaned the contacts. I used alcohol and emery cloth. They weren’t very dirty. Thanks for adding that though, I’m game to try all things, and would hate to look over a free troubleshooting step.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still working through this issue. I picked up a tech2 clone and got it running. Here is my key block reason -
CIM: SCL unlocked and secured Blocking
SCL: SCL unlocked and secured OK

Anyone have some guidance from here? How do I know if the fault is in the CIM or SCL?

(Replaced the ignition already)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used a pick to turn the key and pull all the dtc’s. Would it be helpful to clear it and see which o es are still valid?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts